Extremely high mileage Tahoe purchase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

taylortech

Reaction score
Picture004.jpg

Gordo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There You go thats a sweet deal for a good looking truck and alot less miles.

hooah

Reaction score
Well talortech, that's right, that is a nice looking, clean truck, but even if the Credit Union put their stamp of approval on it, I don't know where you live. I did find a local 2002 for 6k, but it has high miles and screams Warrant Direct. Let me know what neighborhood you're in. Thanks

ac1975

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, that is a really nice truck.

hooah, where in MI are you? Zipcode?

I duno, this is just my thinking, but I think condition of the truck is more important than miles. I would rather buy a high mileage vehicle that has been maintained, than a low mileage vehicle that has never been maintained. A vehicle w/less miles can have more wear & tear from stop and go driving in traffic, than a vehicle w/more miles that has been all or mostly highway. That means, the engine is usually ran at lower RPMs, less tranny shifts, and brakes are stomped on less. This is usually the case with a newer veh w/high miles.

I have 3 vehicles and all had over 100k when I bought them. I had an '89 4Runner I bought with 198k. It was my DD for over 2 yrs, and I sold it with 242k. Never any problems while I owned it. Also had a Beemer I bought with 135k, sold it with 177k, no problems.

taylortech

Reaction score
I have taken care of this vehicle VERY GOOD. I just Put Brand New Rancho RS9000X Adjustable Shocks on(4). Two Brand New Hub Wheel Bearings. Changed the ISS to the New one so no more clunk or rattle. Since you were talking about flying i though i would put mine out there. I live in Orlando, Fl. Change Fluids to Royal Purple. I think it is the Best Deal out there. If your wondering why i am selling,...I Found a house for a steal and i am selling all of my toys.

SSport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my 1996 Tahoe with 198,000 miles for $3,000. It now has 209,000 miles and the only thing I had to replace was the radiator and it cost me $150. I definitely can NOT complain.

Sure, it has it's little gremlins (power door lock on driver side does not work, small dent on hood, cruise control doesn't work...etc...etc.) but for $3,000 I could not ask for more of a truck. I use it everyweekend on 150+ mile trips. After I bought it I got a carfax and it came back as a one owner vehicle for a company fleet.

Whatever you get, check it over real good. Even if it has over 200k on it, the owner before you may have taken care of everything that could go wrong beforehand. Good luck with your search!

hooah

Reaction score
ac1975, I'm in the 48237 area and, after looking a a bunch of trucks, everyone out here is basing their price on milage. Most everyone is nice enough inside, and the body's are generally clean, but you can see that. You can't see the inside of a trans or engine, so mileage is the only factor. I don't trust mechanics so their evaluations don't weigh in here and that leaves out an important tool. taylortech, too bad you're all the way down there, but good luck with the property. I thought about that myself but the snow sports suck in Miami :) so I'm headed to Idaho. Thanks.

ac1975

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya, I agree most prices are based on mileage because that is the general consensus. You can use that to your advantage though. If the dealer had advertised all the service records I found on my truck, they could've sold it for a good $500 more. I know I would've paid it. If you want to stay local, you can actually go and drive the vehicles. You can hear if there is an engine knock, or if the truck drives tight or not.

I'm always online here at work, so I'll see if I can help you find something.

hooah

Reaction score
Hey ac1975 thanks for that. On that same note, I thought buying an aftermarket plan from Warranty Direct, to cover any mechanical problems that may show their ugly heads, might be a kind of back-up plan but they don't cover anything over 100k. So I'm looking for a 2000, new style, Tahoe with less than 100k miles for about $6,500. You can never tell, stranger things have happened. Thanks

ac1975

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh that's not too hard. I assume you want 4x4?

My search was VERY particular. Had to be an LT or Z71 with sunroof, bench 2nd seat, tow pkg, no gray leather and no barn doors. Had to be white, pewter or gray.

Let me know if there are some other preferences, but if all you really want is what you listed, there are lots of trucks I think.

I'll pm you what I find.

hooah

Reaction score
Well, I found a 2002 Tahoe, with 133k miles, in a real nice gold color, for $6,800. The body's tight, it has leather, tow package, and a bunch of other options. What do you think? The guy is also taking my Lincoln as a trade, for more than I owe, so it's a one-stop transaction, and for me, that's worth something in itself. I'm going to have a mechanic (I know) hook up a hand-held to read codes and figure out compression and look at things in general before signing anything. Good or not?

ac1975

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds like a fair deal to me. I forgot about your trade. That changes lot's of things. If the truck is pretty clean, I'd say it's a fair deal. When you have a trade, you're kinda stuck and sometimes it's worth it to pay a bit more to have the vehicle you want.

I sent you a cpl trucks through pm too, but if you're getting some return on your trade, that may be the best deal.

hooah

Reaction score
OK, it's a done deal. Parked outside is a real clean 2001 Yukon (not a Tahoe like I mistakenly said earlier), in gold, with a 5.3 and a lot of options. It has been a local, one owner car, with 133k miles and a history of regular service and everything works. Snagged it for $6,900 and they took my trade-in, so the process was clean. Couldn't get a mechanic to check it before the sale, but looked real hard at everything and went by a checklist. I guess the information I need now is going to be more technical so I'll have to read that forum and work in there. Thanks for all of your help and good luck.

ac1975

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well congratulations! I'm glad you got your truck. Post some pics when you get a chance.

Check the plugs when you get a chance. My truck is running great, but the plugs need to be changed bad! I have a thread with a pic. Don't forget to post your new truck.