factory battery posts and cables

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Design

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would like to do a couple of electrical projects but I have one major obstacle: the factory battery cables and battery posts. As you guys know the factory battery cables make it nearly impossible to add connections directly to the battery posts. I want to do the Big 3 upgrade but only have the single side post battery (which works fine) and I don’t want to buy a new one or fab new battery cables.

Is there a threaded standoff that would allow me to retain both my factory battery cables and add accessories directly to the battery posts?

Thanks,
Jon

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just figure in a new battery into your upgrade and get a dual post. That and the Big 3 are an excellent start.

Or get a bolt and make a stack. I cant recall a terminal right off hand.

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Design

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Of course the simplest albiet most expensive is to buy a dual post battery. I want to avoid that for now.

In order to keep my current cables I need a post that has one male end to connect to the battery then a female threaded end that I can connect the existing battery cable to.

The space between the two ends can be solid or have a way to connect accessory cables to.

Design

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually none of those will work for what I am talking about. My stock cable has an embedded bolt that threads into the battery. The current bolt is too short to even place the thinnest lug behind it and still be able to tighten it down.

The options you show will thread into the battery just fine but do not provide me the ability to thread my existing cable into it.

Chasmanian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they are factory GM the bolt will pop out of the cable. We do them all the time.

Hoebag03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
these are for the side post battery? and the bolt pops out and the new one goes in? where can i find these?

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
these are for the side post battery? and the bolt pops out and the new one goes in? where can i find these?

yea dude, me too. i would love to be able to hook stuff up to the battery, but as people mention, its to darn hard to get stuff in there :nonod:

Hoebag03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if i wanted to hook up my HID leads to them would this work?

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't hard hire the ballasts, they don't pull much current. Check out some stinger side post terminals on ebay to go on www.darvex.com for a good deal.

Design

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they are factory GM the bolt will pop out of the cable. We do them all the time.

So, all I have to do is "pop" the existing bolt out of the factory battery cable? Then just get a longer bolt. Well, that seems simple enough, anyone know the thread on a battery? Perhaps they are all the same?

Jon

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't see anything good coming out of it with the red slip jacket on the cable.
If you don't take that off there won't be very good connections on either side of it. Its not my vehicle though.

This would be the one to get I think. But theres only enough room still for maybe 1 terminal if your doin the big three.

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=713&i=211BAGMT&tp=2681

I just don't like nickel and diming to make stuff work I guess.

Design

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just don't like nickel and diming to make stuff work I guess.

It's really not about that^. It's about finding the right option. According to the installation instructions on Crutchfield for that you thread it into the battery and then "slide the existing cable over the other end and tighten the nut." How would you do that without removing the existing bolt in the cable?

If all I need to do is remove the existing bolt from the cable and get these post adaptors then that is what I'll do. I just wanted to be clear.

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's really not about that^. It's about finding the right option. According to the installation instructions on Crutchfield for that you thread it into the battery and then "slide the existing cable over the other end and tighten the nut." How would you do that without removing the existing bolt in the cable?

If all I need to do is remove the existing bolt from the cable and get these post adaptors then that is what I'll do. I just wanted to be clear.

Yeah it will work. Just take the stock bolt out. What are your plans? Stereo? How much Power?

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Those will work perfect. You just have to remove the existing bolt and put the new one in its place then screw it back onto the battery. The threaded extended portion of the bolt will allow you enough room for a couple new power cables.