Factory Headlight Housing mods...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok.. so i am extremly tired of the poor alignment of my ebay special headlights... and at first the Projectors where great! now they just aren't cuttin it... so I'm going back to my factory headlights.. but i want to spice them up...

So far what i have gotten done which doesn't seem like much but is an accomplishment... I've finally managed to get the front covers off of the factory lights.. and it is a pain!

What i'm plannin on doing is the factory lights have a grey area inside them that isn't chrome - i'm going to paint this black.. - and the chrome, i'm going to see about how hard it would be to smoke it or do something else with it.. i havent made my mind complely up just yet.. - however i will be using the ebay lights for their front covers.. they are clear and will look good and i will seal them a wwwhooolleee lot better than what the seal is on them now hence they fog up anytime it rains..

so heres my current pics... and a small write up...

Ok.. so how to get the lenses off... well, i tried a bunch of different things, the oven being the first - 300deg F for 10 mins, simply did not work.. - i tried other settings to no avail, not wanting to harm the lights i went towards the drimmel.. nothing happening unless you have hours of time and your just bored...

So heres how i finally did it

Drilled a really big hole (broke plastic) in the lense avoid touching the chrome! in both sides of the lense so you can eaisly pull on the lense

The Oven!!

360deg F - around 10 mins you will start to smell smoke!! go ahead and pull em out and see if u can pull the lense off! if not stick em back in for about 3 mins let it smoke some more! do this untill those lenses come off...

And wala! lenses removed damaged totally.. but removed..

Attachments

• 060308_1628[00].jpg
    060308_1628[00].jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 060308_1629[00].jpg
    060308_1629[00].jpg
    99 KB · Views: 30

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had heard something about sticking them in the oven to loosen the glue but never thought it would actually work. good to know!

i also had a set of those craptastic projectors and thankfully sent them back (and got my money back after months of fighting with ebay and the vendor... )

i'll def. keep my eye on this since im in need of some new lights to spice up the front of my tahoe.

BigBlackBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, I have been thinking of going back to my stocks. I too have the ****ty projectors from Egay, as we all know they fit like crap. I will be following this thread, keep us informed. Thanks in advance.

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i am painting them now, i'll get some pics up in a few.. i made my mind up, im doing them all up in blue.. i'll eventually re-do the corners, and bumpers to blue as well.. tryin to flow w/ my hood.. i like it so far!

And an edit.. - I am using Krylon Fusion For Plastic paint.. i havent used this yet... but Wal-Mart had no other paints.. - and my Local autozone closed on me and i really wanted to do this tonight lol... but i can always re-sand and re-do if i don't like it but so far i do..

Also - i think the hardest part about this will be getting the covers off of those flebay lights with out melting them, and actually getting them to fit right onto my factory housings.. if they do fit.. but something is in the way that will be fine - if they are to small.. than i'm in trouble

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok Ok Ok.. several hours and 3 coats later.. and 2 blue headlights.. - now, right now they actually fogged up on me.. from bringing them inside after setting for an hour (3 coats, 1 each hour) and if this fog sets in, than tomm out in the sun ill spray them again for a 4th.. and than clear them...

but here is a crappy cell phone pic

Attachments

• 060408_0433[00].jpg
    060408_0433[00].jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 11

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok ok ok.. paint is done.. about 4 coats of paint, and 2 coats of clear (lil more lil less here and there....)

Now, tomm. i am going to try to get the lenses off of the other lights, and see what kinda fitment issues im gonna run into..

Attachments

• 060408_2331[00].jpg
    060408_2331[00].jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 060408_2331[01].jpg
    060408_2331[01].jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 060408_2331[02].jpg
    060408_2331[02].jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 6

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya know with blue paint and no reflector of any sorts, 2 things are gunna happen 1. you will have NO usuable light, and 2. the beam will be awful. that reflector you removed was what gm spend millions on to make sure they put out good light with out blinding oncoming drivers.

newthom75

Reaction score
i have some crapey ebay ones that have a black background but they work just fine with H I Ds but with regular lights i cant see ****

bparker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lets see whats connected to that nice set of legs you have in pic #2!! :D :D

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rollin Thunder, you have given me nothing but negative posts in anything i do.. - I don't work on your truck you don't work on mine..

You wanna know whats connected to the legs? thats my 92lb 48 yr/o mother...

- The reflectors i removed? first you cant remove them.. 2nd they where flaking very badly.. and 3rd.. you have no clue what i had planned in doing this..
No light reflection? - they had chrome every where.. that wasn't shiny to begin with - it will be the same if not better because of the clear lenses than factory lights.

The gloss blue is more reflective than the chrome was that the factory spent "millons" on inside.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rollin Thunder, you have given me nothing but negative posts in anything i do.. - I don't work on your truck you don't work on mine..

You wanna know whats connected to the legs? thats my 92lb 48 yr/o mother...

- The reflectors i removed? first you cant remove them.. 2nd they where flaking very badly.. and 3rd.. you have no clue what i had planned in doing this..
No light reflection? - they had chrome every where.. that wasn't shiny to begin with - it will be the same if not better because of the clear lenses than factory lights.

The gloss blue is more reflective than the chrome was that the factory spent "millons" on inside.

WTF:confused2::confused2::confused2: you have only started one thred where you have done somthing to your truck that i have responded to. It was not a critisim, it was more of a question. what else are you doing to them.

but C'mon dude, you gotta have thicker skin than that :D

Hawstly

Site Admin
Reaction score
Well its not mostly what you are saying - its HOW you are saying it and how you are spelling it. I think thats what is getting under most peoples skin..... :rolleyes2:

WTF:confused2::confused2::confused2: you have only started one thred where you have done somthing to your truck that i have responded to. It was not a critisim, it was more of a question. what else are you doing to them.

but C'mon dude, you gotta have thicker skin than that :D

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmm looking good as far as i can tell. what lenses are you putting back on the lights??? and do you have hids or what??

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm currently shoppin around for HID's.. - lookin for dual projectors - so i need the housings, 4 ballasts.. all that good stuff and of course the bulbs :)

Kevs98hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn dude your going to blind the any one that gets infront of you, I just got $11 Fake hid bulbs off ebay about a year ago and they work great nice blue shade but not blinding.

And some one bought there Tahoe to my shop and had those cheap headlights on his truck and he wanted regular light so I got a set of free cheap headlights laying around, I wanna see how your turn out so I might convert these.

rhett325i

Reaction score
If you really want great light output without blinding oncoming traffic, you need to retrofit some high quality projectors into those housings, and then hook up the HID. You could even keep your blue paint in there.

If you want to have poor light output and blind oncoming traffic, continue doing what you are doing.

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You dont seem to understand - that is what i am looking to do is retro-fit some, acura, or some-other projector into the housing.. thats what i am looking for.. - anyone have a good place for prices?