Fading bodyside molding

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MyLiLHO

Reaction score
Hey gang, was just wondering if anybody has had any problems with thier bodyside molding fading. I have a 07 (greystone) and have always washed and waxed my truck from day one but the molding has started to fade becoming dull. Is this something that could be covered under the dealer warranty or not? Or am i just gonna have to suck it up and pay to have them repainted? Thanx

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the clearcoat is going south. If you have a good relationship with your service dept, you may be able to get some relief.

Gatorbait

Reaction score
Isn't paint covered for 5 years? Dealership should cover this. Mine are doing the same thing. Plan on taking it in next week to see what they will do along with a list of other things to fix.

Gatorbait

Reaction score
I asked isn't it covered for 5 years. Didn't say it was covered for 5 years. However I was having the same problem on my previous truck which was a 1500HD, greystone. Went to the dealership and they said it was covered under warranty and fixed it. It had 20k miles on it. Going back to the same dealership with this truck next week so I don't see there being a problem. Here is what is stated in my Warranty Manual:

"Defects in paint, trim, upholstery, or other appearance items are normally corrected during new vehicle preparation. If you find any paint or appearance concerns, advise your dealer as soon as possible."

frankthetank

Reaction score
I had the same thing happen to my side body molding, first the driver side, and just noticed the other day the passenger side is doing the same thing. I took it in to the service department and they said no problem will repaint it for you, they said this was the first time they had seen this. This is was at an exceptional dealership in Dallas, Sewell.

08 Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen this on the Tahoe's or Yukon's but I notice it, on a lot of cars, where the paint fades on the ureathane bumper and no longer matches the paint on the fenders. It seems to be a bigger problem for Chrysler than GM.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I asked isn't it covered for 5 years. Didn't say it was covered for 5 years.

Yeah, but the wording sort of implies that you're repeating a possible fact...

"Isn't a Presidential term four years?" Attempting to confirm a given belief or fact.
"Is a Presidential term four years?" A neutral, non-weighted question.

See the difference?