Fog Light Wiring?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
May be a stupid question, but after tearing through the entire hoe running all the amp, XM, aux, cables throughout the last week i want this to take the least amount of time possible.

i got my hands on a factory fog light switch out of a 2000 Limited and want to swap it in where the crappy aftermarket switch is for my daylighters on the brushguard. the good old Haynes manual says the five wires coming out of the back of the switch are:

Gray- goes to interior light system (illumination on the switch?)
Brown- goes to the headlight switch to the parking lights (incoming power to the switch?)
Purple- goes to the hot wire on the fog lights after the relay (turns on the "on" light on the switch)
Yellow- goes to the fog lap relay ( power out of the switch?)
Black- Ground of course.

so this is how it looks (correct me if I'm wrong)

Gray needs to be scotch locked to an existing illumination wire
Brown would be 12v in power
Purple would be scotch locked to power out of the switch to turn on the light
Yellow would be power out to the lights themselves
Black is self explanatory. ground.

second question, is the fog light wiring packed back up in the dash somewhere on my 96? (I've heard it is on the newer ones)

third question. will this switch handle the (2) hundred watt daylighters without it melting? i plan on redoing the wiring to them eventually and put in the relay that i should have used the first time around, but if its going to kill the switch I'll go ahead and pick up the relay and do it the right way.