Friction Modifier in rear end????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pwrstroker00

Reaction score
Hello All,

Just replaced the gear oil in the rear end last night but wasn't sure if I needed to add any friction modifier as well. It has the Eaton locker (G80 I believe) in the rear and I figured it would be easier to add the friction modifier if needed. I couldn't find any Mobil 1 in my area, so I had to go with Valvoline full synthetic.

So, do I need to add any friction modifier to the rear end? If yes, any particular brand you like? Approximate quantity you added?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No need to add a modifier since you already have synthetic, I prefer royal purple or amsoil but any good syn will do. Stock limited slip is a pile of crap anyway if it ever fails I'd invest in a detroit trutrac.

chrias

Reaction score
I upgraded to an Auburn when I shattered the rear. The kit came with the friction modifier.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
G80 limited slip with 3.73 gears. Careful in the rain they tend to lock up lol.

tribalbreak

Reaction score
well i would think that even if they lock up the awd keeps it pretty straight? and its got the stabilitrac so it wont let it slide correct?