front CV leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ice98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed a bit of liquid (imagine it is diff fluid) leaking out from where the CV assembly attaches to the front differential, judging by the surrounding area it has been leaking for a while

Any tips on what could be the problem (is there a seal there and if so, what the heck is it called?)

Any way to figure out the fluid level in the diff that I can do at home?

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The axle seal on the diff is leaking, pretty easy to replace with a seal puller. Should be a fill plug on the side of the diff (drivers side?), fill till it runs out IIRC...

Ice98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The axle seal on the diff is leaking, pretty easy to replace with a seal puller. Should be a fill plug on the side of the diff (drivers side?), fill till it runs out IIRC...

What is involved with accessing the seal though? is there enough play to unbolt the axle and slide it out, or will it require much more than that?

I am going to check the fluid levels and hope it isn't a very bad leak, I really don't have the time to do this repair before I make a big trip in a little over a week, going to be 2100mi round trip, I guess I will just have to stay on top of checking my levels to be sure it doesn't run low....

Another question, can the black RTV (oil resistant) be used for the rear diff, or will I have to purchase the green (gear oil resistant) version? Hate to buy another tube when I already have the black...

Last edited:

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always use a paper gasket on diff covers,

That being said, you have to pull the CV shaft from the axle, pull the diff cover, remove the retainer from the axle shaft, pull the shaft, then pull/ replace the seal.....

Not too bad, but it does kinda suck for just a seal....

Putting new fluid into it may help alot...

Is the rig lifted?

Ice98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always use a paper gasket on diff covers,

That being said, you have to pull the CV shaft from the axle, pull the diff cover, remove the retainer from the axle shaft, pull the shaft, then pull/ replace the seal.....

Not too bad, but it does kinda suck for just a seal....

Putting new fluid into it may help alot...

Is the rig lifted?

no its not lifted

I checked the fluid level, only took an ounce or 2 and it was full again, so the leak couldn't be too crazy, checked the rear while I was at it an its in good shape

I would like to replace the seal but I am gonna have to figure out a half dozen other things I can maintain or replace at the same time to make it worth it

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotta love all these older trucks and their quirks.....

Ice98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotta love all these older trucks and their quirks.....

Lol, luckily mine are mostly age related, which means mostly rubber, not sure how the rear air will work because what I assume is the vacuum actuated valve has had its hose completely disintegrate

Really need to stay on top of my ball joint grease since most of the seals leak

its all relative though, I love this truck

Ice98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it meets your needs and especially if is paid off then it is a keeper.

Yeah, I paid cash for it, $2800, of course I had to replace the rear end due to a bad spindle gear so that was another $1200, and I have probably put at least another $1000-1500 into it in speakers, bright white bulbs, suspension upgrades, replacement seals, and little parts here and there

Worth it to me though, because I know that I can use this thing for then ext 5 years, put another 50-60k miles on it, and still turn around and sell it for $3-4k

My next project is installing a backup camera and replacing my AC components, always something to do ;-)