Front differential seal failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UWmad

Reaction score
Quick question for you guys. I have a 2007 Tahoe 4x4 with 36,000 miles. We were out in South Dakota pheasant hunting back in Nov. and drove through lots of mud and grass fields...which is what a 4x4 truck is supposed to do. Well, I guess the front axle while in 4x4 wound up a bunch of tall grass. It eventually penetrated the seal and got into the differential. Now, this is all coming from my dealer this morning when he called to tell me what was going on. He said the diff. was full of grass and water. They are going to cover the seal under warranty but I have to pay to have the diff. flushed a couple times to get the moisture out.
Question for you guys now...should I be required to pay for the flushing? Isn't this all due to the seal failing? They want to charge me $200 to do the flushing. Any help would greatly be appreciated.
Thanks!

41racing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick question for you guys. I have a 2007 Tahoe 4x4 with 36,000 miles. We were out in South Dakota pheasant hunting back in Nov. and drove through lots of mud and grass fields...which is what a 4x4 truck is supposed to do. Well, I guess the front axle while in 4x4 wound up a bunch of tall grass. It eventually penetrated the seal and got into the differential. Now, this is all coming from my dealer this morning when he called to tell me what was going on. He said the diff. was full of grass and water. They are going to cover the seal under warranty but I have to pay to have the diff. flushed a couple times to get the moisture out.
Question for you guys now...should I be required to pay for the flushing? Isn't this all due to the seal failing? They want to charge me $200 to do the flushing. Any help would greatly be appreciated.
Thanks!

I don't think that any dealer is going to cover the flushing do your diff under warranty, even though it seems like they should. I have a hard time believing that grass got in there... moisture I can see, but not grass. Just do the flushing yourself. It isn't hard, there is a drain plug and a fill plug. Just use cheap 80w90. Fill it up and go drive it a few miles then drain it. Repeat that a few times then fill it up with good syn gear lube.

smorse52

Reaction score
If a failure caused it, I am certain I would convince my dealer to cover cost as they could simply submit your point to GM and get reimbursed. That's why they are there. It is alot easier for them to keep you happy this once and hopefully sell you another truck. I am sure if they turn their back on you, you may have second thoughts.