Glad to have a Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What you are saying becomes obvious if you take it to the absurd extreme.
A freight train running into a small animal, while the animal is virtually vaporized the train will not notice a thing.

Yes, but I think it still holds true before it goes to the extreme as well: If you take two Tahoes and ram them into each other going 35mph each and then take 2 small cars and ram them into each other going 35mph, the people in the Tahoes are going to be hurting worse than the ones in the small cars even if everybody is wearing a seatbelt.

Edit: It might actually be about acceleration, not momentum, I'm second-guessing myself. I'll have to ruminate on this for a bit.

Last edited:

Rafael

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Acceleration is essentially irrelevant. It is momentum and the design of the car.
I cant remember who it was, the govt or some private group, but they ran a large number of cars head on into each. Corolla into corolla, jeep into jeep, and I remember the result of Suburban into Suburban. The result of the test was that you were better off in a Suburban running head on into another Suburban than you were in almost any other vehicle. In general the larger vehicles did better. I know it is not intuitive, but that was the result.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
all this is completely irrevalant if a 18 wheeler hits ya though :sad:

SPEED DOES NOT KILL, SUDDENLY BECOMING STATIONARY IS WHAT GETS YA.

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flying somewhare in VATSIM&Delta virtual airlines
Here's my thought on this: If the drivers had not lost control they would all still be alive. It is the stupidity and lackadaisical attitude towards driving and personal responsibility that kills people and wrecks cars. There are very few causal factors outside of drivers themselves.

You look familiar,are you on a flight sim forum, as I am a flight sim fanatic spending hundreds of dollars on the hobby, my favorite being the Level D 767 payware.

JD Larue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's impossible to tell what's going to happen in an accident. When the forces and physics of a high speed collision take effect anything can and does happen. But seat belts are a DEFINITE life saver.

I was a police officer for 33 years and I was called to a single vehicle collision late one night. It was a Chevy luv pickup with a single driver that had side swiped a small 4" diameter tree on the passenger side of the truck. There was very minor scraping damage to the side of the truck, yet the top of the drivers head had popped off and his brain was missing. I finally found it lying in the bed of the pickup pretty much intact. For the life of me I could not figure out how the h@#$ that could have happened.

After awhile we finally figured out that when the driver (no seat belt) hit the tree on the passenger side it threw him over to the passenger side and his head flew out the open window as his truck scraped by the tree. His head hit the tree as it went by and the force blew his head open, his brain popped up and out and landed in the truck bed. Hitting the tree knocked him back over onto the drivers side sitting behind the wheel. One of the weirdest ones I've ever seen. However the moral of the story obviously is, had he been wearing the seat belt he probably wouldn't have sustained any injuries at all. I guess maybe it was just his time.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's impossible to tell what's going to happen in an accident. When the forces and physics of a high speed collision take effect anything can and does happen. But seat belts are a DEFINITE life saver.

I was a police officer for 33 years and I was called to a single vehicle collision late one night. It was a Chevy luv pickup with a single driver that had side swiped a small 4" diameter tree on the passenger side of the truck. There was very minor scraping damage to the side of the truck, yet the top of the drivers head had popped off and his brain was missing. I finally found it lying in the bed of the pickup pretty much intact. For the life of me I could not figure out how the h@#$ that could have happened.

After awhile we finally figured out that when the driver (no seat belt) hit the tree on the passenger side it threw him over to the passenger side and his head flew out the open window as his truck scraped by the tree. His head hit the tree as it went by and the force blew his head open, his brain popped up and out and landed in the truck bed. Hitting the tree knocked him back over onto the drivers side sitting behind the wheel. One of the weirdest ones I've ever seen. However the moral of the story obviously is, had he been wearing the seat belt he probably wouldn't have sustained any injuries at all. I guess maybe it was just his time.

IS THIS FOR REAL OR ARE YOU MESSING WITH US:wow: :mad3:

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Acceleration is essentially irrelevant. It is momentum and the design of the car.
I cant remember who it was, the govt or some private group, but they ran a large number of cars head on into each. Corolla into corolla, jeep into jeep, and I remember the result of Suburban into Suburban. The result of the test was that you were better off in a Suburban running head on into another Suburban than you were in almost any other vehicle. In general the larger vehicles did better. I know it is not intuitive, but that was the result.

I decided I was wrong, it is the amount of your deceleration and the moment of impact that matters. So the reason the suburban in your example was the best was that it has a longer hood section, which will increase the moment of impact, spreading out the deceleration over a longer time period.

But as you guys are pointing out the moral of the story is wear your seatbelt and try real hard not to hit or get hit!

Oh, and that brains story is just nasty... :puke:

Rafael

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hood length did seem to be a factor.
I remember the crown victoria did well also.

My favorite nonsense is all the people with mini coopers who say it is a safe car. That thing is like an ant versus an elephant.

Vrrooom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hood length did seem to be a factor.
I remember the crown victoria did well also.

My favorite nonsense is all the people with mini coopers who say it is a safe car. That thing is like an ant versus an elephant.

Thats a perfect example of what I feel is a huge deceiving factor in crash test ratings. They only test a car at speed against a stationary object. The object is a nice wall that tends to cover the front crumple zones in their tests.

However, in the real world, crashes are against other cars, poles, trees, all of which are not tested appropriately. Just as the mini cooper would do great hitting a wall or hitting another mini cooper, it hitting an average sized sedan would destroy it. Now you test that against an SUV, and a 40mph head on collission is almost certain death where as in the crash tests their 40mph collission shows to sustain 'minor injuries'.

That story about the pickup truck is insane! I've been guilty of not wearing my seat belt for short drives (2 miles to the grocery store) but after reading that one I don't think I'll even shift out of park w/o it!

bparker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, maybe we should just all walk to make it all nice and fair...

I learned a long time ago life wasnt fair.. I accepted it and got over any chance life would be fair to me and to take every positive chance I could to better my life.

Given the chance, I would - will and always would put my family in a Tahoe to greaten their odds of surviving an accident.. Because life simply isn't fair and never will be, plan accordingly...

Have you ever thought that maybe if the person hadn't been driving a yukon that the people in the japanese car might have lived?

JAGastrock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh I felt quite safe in my Grand Marquis. But that car is also unique in the car world, because it is the last sedan made that is still body on frame....just like most trucks. That thing hit quite a few things, and it held up like a tank. I will say that I miss the metal bumpers on the Hoe/Burban.

Rafael

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats a perfect example of what I feel is a huge deceiving factor in crash test ratings. They only test a car at speed against a stationary object. The object is a nice wall that tends to cover the front crumple zones in their tests.

However, in the real world, crashes are against other cars, poles, trees, all of which are not tested appropriately. Just as the mini cooper would do great hitting a wall or hitting another mini cooper, it hitting an average sized sedan would destroy it. Now you test that against an SUV, and a 40mph head on collission is almost certain death where as in the crash tests their 40mph collission shows to sustain 'minor injuries'.

That story about the pickup truck is insane! I've been guilty of not wearing my seat belt for short drives (2 miles to the grocery store) but after reading that one I don't think I'll even shift out of park w/o it!

The test I mentioned was car against car. The larger cars with longer hoods seemed to do the best.

JD Larue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No guys, no BS. The guy in the pickup is a true story and after 33 years on the job I've seen worse than that. Anyone here ever seen someone scalped by a shattered windshield? Ejections from moving vehicles are truly ugly. Like somebody previously said, I won't leave my driveway without it. OK, OK no more soapbox stuff.

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
State police brought a rollover demonstrator to work to display what wearing and not wearing seat belt consequences were. With seat belts, the dummy remained securely in the cab. Without belts, the dummy was ejected on the first or second revolution and this was a very slow roll rate.

The KC Chiefs lost a premier player, Derrick Thomas, a few years ago when he rolled his SUV (don't remember what it was), wasn't wearing his seat belt and windows were up. He was thrown out.

Not wearing seat belts is like filling out an application for the Darwin Award.

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flying somewhare in VATSIM&Delta virtual airlines
Yea, maybe we should just all walk to make it all nice and fair...

I learned a long time ago life wasnt fair.. I accepted it and got over any chance life would be fair to me and to take every positive chance I could to better my life.

Given the chance, I would - will and always would put my family in a Tahoe to greaten their odds of surviving an accident.. Because life simply isn't fair and never will be, plan accordingly...

Well said, I am one for putting the odds in my favor that is where the Tahoe comes in.