going to 4 wheel - shifting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Poppa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all. 94 Yukon ,automatic , can I shift to 4 wheel on the fly and what is top speed in 4 wheel. Have a manual floor shifter. Just need to know between 4 hi and 2 hi. Thanks

MO Viet Vet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Isn't there a sticker on the backside of your drivers or passenger visor explaining all this or in the manual. I think it is ok, I have done it before, at a low speed, say 15-20 mph but I think it is always best to do from a standstill. Others will know for sure.

MO Viet Vet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you don't have a manual you can google it or check for a manual on line. I remember an 88 K20 pickup I had that had the same shifter and I had shifted on the fly at lower speeds with no problems but can't remember if it was "ok" to do so.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an electronic Tcase and have done it at higher speeds, back when I was younger and dumber..... survived it.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, well that was back a number of years ago.....

Ice98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know for the '96 it recommends rolling forward slowly (idling) for the 15 seconds or so it takes the system to fully engage, I wouldn't do it at any higher speeds even if my system would allow it