Has anyone replaced a Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hd_ryder

Reaction score
Has anyone replaced the Crankshaft Position sensor on a 1996 to 2000 5.7L?

If so, what were the symptoms before the replacement of the Crankshaft Position sensor?

Did it require a Crankshaft Position Sensor Variation Learning Procedure have to be preformed as described in the Haynes Repair Manual?

Thanks for the help.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crank sensor has various issues, from dead to int miss. CKP relearn would need to be ran most likely if it is throwing a code or not....

hd_ryder

Reaction score
Can a DIY mechanic perform the Crankshaft Position Sensor Variation Learning Procedure, or will I have to take it to the stealership to get that done?

Thanks for the help.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CKP Relearn has to be done on a scantool... sorry.... Replace it and drive it if the code dont come back... if it doesnt run as good might get the relearn done.

hd_ryder

Reaction score
Can the Crankshaft Position Sensor be replaced without pulling the crank pulleys?

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, IIRC there is only one like 8mm bolt that holds down a bracket that holds the sensor in the timing cover.....

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Read the post just above yours Mayhem.....

Mayhem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The reason I wanted to confirm or deny is that I have conflicting answers. It seems or so it seems that it been put it different places. Which is why I like old school engine problems, there a whole lot easier to fix.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive never seen the CKP on a 350 vortec in a truck in any other spot..... I have a 99 block in the shop and a 98 in the truck both the same....

Mayhem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I crawled my ace under the front of the truck to look and there it was, looks like a 5 min job. Just unplug, unbolt and pull out then reverse the process. Sometimes the Internet is your enemy...