have a question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chevyguy3766

Reaction score
i am interested in buy a 99 tahoe 4door, 4x4 LT. how bad is the gas milage and how much will it cost to fill up. what are some other problems to expect. im looking for one with about 100,000 miles or more.

Rick90467

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a '99 4dr 4wd, and avg. 15mpg on slightly oversized tires. I drive conservatively 40% in town, 40% highway and 20% off road.

At 191K miles, the stock 350 motor has plenty of power and the drive train is highly reliable. The ride is surprisingly comfortable compared to most full sized trucks and if you put good tires on it the tracking of the vehicle is easy to handle on bumpy and uneven road surfaces. I dont go 4-wheeling so to speak but on any given weekend I frequent hard to get to hunting and fishing spots thru the mud and muck with effortless driving.

I have not had any disabling problems but do have a fuel pump that makes an irritating sound - it makes me nervous but others have noted it to be normal. My cruise control works, sometimes. The air conditioner lines are prone to being leaky near the fire wall and haven't been able to win that battle. And it seems like chevy dropped the ball when it comes to exterior door handle quality as most of the hoe's kon's and trucks I've seen have cracked and loose handles on the drivers door. The only thing I really cuss at is not the truck itself but this darn piece of junk keyless fob thingy.

Good luck

madspeed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also average about 15mpg, on 305/45/20 tires, 110K on truck

madspeed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check the steering too, as many here have reported SLOPPY steering, mine as well. Can't seem to get her fixed either!!

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah... dont forget the intake manifold gasket and the slow, unfindable leak..

also the yolk chirping sound everyone gets...

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With only 100k miles on it, the problems that people are describing may not have started showing up yet. I have 130k miles on mine, and I have yet to experience any of them. I get around 16 to 17 mpg, with most of that being on the highway. I have a 25 gallon tank, and spend more than $75 to fill it. These are definitely not meant for economy. If your main concern is gas mileage, you may want to look at buying something else. But I think that all of us here agree that it's worth it if you can afford the gas.:thumbsup:

madspeed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, I like my 99 Denali, but then again, I HATE it too!!

Rick90467

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check the steering too, as many here have reported SLOPPY steering, mine as well. Can't seem to get her fixed either!!

Change the steering position sensor on the lower part of the column, it will fix it up big time-about 50-60 bucks and 30 minutes to replace. You just need a 15mm socket.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have about 165K on mine. before the lift i was getting around 15MPG with a mix of highway/city driving. after the lift and with the trans slipping im getting about 9MPG at best. but i don't care, i'd much rather drive my tahoe than my other vehicle that gets 25-30MPG.

Rick90467

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have about 165K on mine. before the lift i was getting around 15MPG with a mix of highway/city driving. after the lift and with the trans slipping im getting about 9MPG at best. but i don't care, i'd much rather drive my tahoe than my other vehicle that gets 25-30MPG.

I would like to second that motion!!