Help Please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

reddemon71

Reaction score
I have a 05 yukon i got for free from my sister in law. It has 80k on it and was used as a company vehicle. There is a noise coming from the front end when i go over a bump, kinda like a thump or something. I thinking it maybe the shocks or the bushings are bad in the A-arms or something. I know it has had no good maint on it since everyone that has a company vehicle beats them up. Any help would be grateful

Mr.Klean

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 05 yukon i got for free from my sister in law. It has 80k on it and was used as a company vehicle. There is a noise coming from the front end when i go over a bump, kinda like a thump or something. I thinking it maybe the shocks or the bushings are bad in the A-arms or something. I know it has had no good maint on it since everyone that has a company vehicle beats them up. Any help would be grateful

Can you feel it in the steering wheel? If so it is probably the intermediate steering shaft.

reddemon71

Reaction score
I have heard noises coming from the steering area, But i think it may be multiple issues. What does the shaft cost, (just the part)

Mr.Klean

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have heard noises coming from the steering area, But i think it may be multiple issues. What does the shaft cost, (just the part)

I have never had to buy one so I really don't know. Mine had been warrantied when the previous owner had the truck so my local dealership warrantied it again for me even though I had no warranty left. My wifes 04 Chevrolet truck had it replaced 3 times. The GM trucks and SUV's are notorious for the problem..

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know about the Chevy's but on my Ram when I hear that noise it's time for a new track bar. I forget the cost but there's a fair amount of labor involved. Seems like the total bill was over $300 but I don't remember for cetain.

jameym00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
take it to a shop and you can get the inter steering shaft lubed for about 40 bucks. its a bad issue with those trucks. it makes the truck feel like the whole front end is fall out. its a quick and easy fix!! there is a tsb out on it

Nappers

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also lube all of them zerks under the front end, 11 I think, mine clunks and bangs around as I approach my OIC and a good lube and good to go.

Good luck

Aaron

reddemon71

Reaction score
take it to a shop and you can get the inter steering shaft lubed for about 40 bucks. its a bad issue with those trucks. it makes the truck feel like the whole front end is fall out. its a quick and easy fix!! there is a tsb out on it
I will try that, I see that a new shaft is $65, I have a friend that can put it in

reddemon71

Reaction score
Got a new shaft online for $58, Paid a buddy $75 to put it in, Just like new now

MyBlkBurban

Reaction score
I just unbolted one bolt under the hood, stroked the shaft about 10-15 times ( lol ) and then bolted it back on. It's as good as new. Not even the slightest thump. I've heard this fix lasts anywhere from 5-10k miles. That should take me into spring and then I'll pickup the latest shaft that GM swears fixes the problem. I think the part os about 60 bucks and honestly just about anyone that can use a socket wrench can change it themselves.. Otherwise the dealership will probab charge about $250 for the whole thing..