Help understanding the difference in Z71 and LT Package

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smithk3933

Reaction score
I'm looking at purchase of 03-05 Tahoe and want to understand a bit about the Z71 package. I currently have a 99 LT so pretty familiar with a lot of the features.

I don't plan to have the Tahoe offroad but will be towing a open car trailer several times/year.

How does the suspension on the Z71 compare as to overall ride feel and on road handling?

I tried using Z71 in search but for some reason, I'm not returning any hits.

Thanks for the feedback.

Keith

ugachs24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had both, I put 115k miles on a 2003 Z71 and I have a 2004 LT as a second car. The main differences are minor technical differences (skid plates, firmer suspension, etc) and exterior appearances. The Z71 is definitely going to give you a stiffer ride, they still ride pretty nicely with some good tires, but the LT rides better hands down even with stock tires. Honestly, I probably took the Z71 off road twice, and it handled wonderfully, but at least 100k of the miles we put on it were on the interstate, so the LT model better suits me. My wife always just wants the Z71's for appearance.

Both have the same towing capabilities depending on gear ratios. Seems like the 3.43 is 6700 lbs and the 3.73 (standard on 4x4 Z71 and LT) is 7700 lbs. There is also a 4.10 which can tow even more but you take a hit on the gas mileage.

Heres the 2004 Tahoe brochure with a list of the differences.

http://www.gmcertified.com/certified/pdf/2004/04Chevrolet_Tahoe.pdf