High output alternator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaymike44

Reaction score
What's up guys I'm thinking of adding an high output alternator to help keep my voltage high and reduce headlight dim when running my system hard. As I was researching the different brands this is what I found http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005I...=SL500_SR500,484&refRID=1CFK98345MGFY4X3AWXM# I believe these could be the AD-244 rebuilt to put out 250 amps for $150. The cheapest I have found from an alternator company was about $320 for 220 amps and I'm on a budget. Has anyone tried the rebuilt alt and is it worth the risk or should I follow the old saying "you get what you pay for."

Thanks

Ice98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kind of system are you running that your lights dim? I run 6 speakers, 8 tweeters, and a sub, with a 1kw amp and the deck and my headlights don't dim (and they are ultra-whites)

not to mention the fact that I almost constantly have at least 2 items charging off the 12v sockets and 4 LED fog lights wired in

Your dimming issue is more likely a bad ground, your battery should easily provide the power you need for any high-drain situation, at least on a burst basis, obviously if you did this continuously then your battery would start to die

The only time I have seen a 2nd alternator is when I see my buddies car and his SPL groups setups, and they are often running banks of batteries 2-8 deep and 12-15" subs on multi-thousand watt amps, enough power to shatter windsheilds and cause the roof to undulate....

Jaymike44

Reaction score
I'm currently running an L7 and Brutus Elite 1700 its not a really bad dim its just irritating because I notice it. I'm not gonna add a second alt Im gonna replace the stock one that only gives 100 amps. And I plan on adding another L7 and maybe a larger amp in a few months just wanted to prepare before the change. And I would love to only pay $150 for a 250 amp alt just unsure on the quality

Ice98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm currently running an L7 and Brutus Elite 1700 its not a really bad dim its just irritating because I notice it. I'm not gonna add a second alt Im gonna replace the stock one that only gives 100 amps. And I plan on adding another L7 and maybe a larger amp in a few months just wanted to prepare before the change. And I would love to only pay $150 for a 250 amp alt just unsure on the quality

have you checked amazon? that is always a good resource for reviews

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cs144 from a suburban would give you 150.... check the J/Y's (there is also a 124A version of the cs144 - I got one out of a 99 chev fulsize van)

Jaymike44

Reaction score
Thanks for the info i got some unexpected money:happy160: so i ordered a mechman 240 amp for $350 (hope the wife isnt home when its delivered):help:. do u guys think i should convert the side mount to top mount when doing the big 3?

Ice98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info i got some unexpected money:happy160: so i ordered a mechman 240 amp for $350 (hope the wife isnt home when its delivered):help:. do u guys think i should convert the side mount to top mount when doing the big 3?

Not sure on that, but you may have to consider a different accessory belt

Jaymike44

Reaction score
I bought longer terminal screw for the side mount hopefully that will work but if not the conversion is pretty simple. Yeah im gonna look into that belt when the alt gets here.