How can I increase the output of the MP3 jack?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kind of player are you hooking up to it? Have you tried using a headphone-out jack on your music player instead of a line-out jack? You'll need to turn the volume on the player to like 90% of max. I have a Cowon iAudio X5, and I run the volume at 37 (40 is max) out of the headphone jack, and the output via the aux in on the stereo is fine. The line-out levels are inadequate for this on my player. Perhaps you've got a bad cable or one that's attenuating the signal?

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flying somewhare in VATSIM&Delta virtual airlines
What kind of player are you hooking up to it? Have you tried using a headphone-out jack on your music player instead of a line-out jack? You'll need to turn the volume on the player to like 90% of max. I have a Cowon iAudio X5, and I run the volume at 37 (40 is max) out of the headphone jack, and the output via the aux in on the stereo is fine. The line-out levels are inadequate for this on my player. Perhaps you've got a bad cable or one that's attenuating the signal?

I have a cable I bought at Radio shack and it plugs into the MP3 player output jack, but what I plug in needs to be almost 100% and still the volume is week. I used the same player in my Wife's Jetta through the tape adapter and it freaken cranks, but I hate driving the Erotrash car.

A side note the player only has headphone out.

Attachments

• 100_3960 (Large).JPG
    100_3960 (Large).JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 2

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Huh. I dunno then -- maybe the output is simply too weak for the Hoe's stereo, or maybe there's something wrong with your stereo. Have you any way to try it in another 07/08 stereo of the same type? Perhaps it's worth a trip to the dealer's to check out a stereo in another truck...(so you don't have to drive the Eurotrash car and use a crappy cassette adapter :D). FWIW, my X5's headphone jack is pretty hot at 40mW.

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Huh. I dunno then -- maybe the output is simply too weak for the Hoe's stereo, or maybe there's something wrong with your stereo. Have you any way to try it in another 07/08 stereo of the same type? Perhaps it's worth a trip to the dealer's to check out a stereo in another truck...(so you don't have to drive the Eurotrash car and use a crappy cassette adapter :D). FWIW, my X5's headphone jack is pretty hot at 40mW.

That might be worth doing as it will answer the question of are they all weak or do I have a problem, and if they are all weak than maybe there is an after market solution.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, and a potential aftermarket solution (if your stereo turns out to be "normal") is using a portable headphone amplifier like those from www.penguinamp.com or www.headphonia.com (both made by the same guy). I've got one of his older Royal amps, and it's still working great... There are lots of other portable headphone amp manufacturers, and it's a "religion" unto itself...so do your homework and you'll find something that works well, sounds very good, and doesn't break the bank!

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PS - make sure you try another cable with the other trucks as well...before you go buying an amp... ;)

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, and a potential aftermarket solution (if your stereo turns out to be "normal") is using a portable headphone amplifier like those from www.penguinamp.com or www.headphonia.com (both made by the same guy). I've got one of his older Royal amps, and it's still working great... There are lots of other portable headphone amp manufacturers, and it's a "religion" unto itself...so do your homework and you'll find something that works well, sounds very good, and doesn't break the bank!

I am serious about sound, however I don't have unlimited funds to work with.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I totally feel your pain -- the amps listed at those sites are very inexpensive compared to many... Yet, they perform well and sound great. Even his cheap $69.00 unit does well as I understand (no idea about the $49 one). Good luck, and let us know what the outcome is!

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i wish i could on my yukon, i have to use the crappy fm transmitter, on my denali which has the same nav system as the 07 tahoe i got a basic 6 buck cord, have an adaptor for the iphone, turn the volume up and it sounds just like a cd, you may want to check your cord or if your jack is screwed up.:eek:

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i wish i could on my yukon, i have to use the crappy fm transmitter, on my denali which has the same nav system as the 07 tahoe i got a basic 6 buck cord, have an adaptor for the iphone, turn the volume up and it sounds just like a cd, you may want to check your cord or if your jack is screwed up.:eek:

Yeah I am wondering if I have a Jack issue. I don't want to spend money on it if it is a defective unit that can be covered on my extended warranty.

Hardin Thicke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Aux Input plug on the Tahoe's panel accepts a standard line level input. What I'd do before doing anything else would be to take a 110V CD player on an extension cord out to your truck, set it on the seat, and feed the output of the player to the Aux Input to verify the input is working properly. I've seen far too many MP3 players with too low of an output, or even more common, files that were improperly recorded.

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Aux Input plug on the Tahoe's panel accepts a standard line level input. What I'd do before doing anything else would be to take a 110V CD player on an extension cord out to your truck, set it on the seat, and feed the output of the player to the Aux Input to verify the input is working properly. I've seen far too many MP3 players with too low of an output, or even more common, files that were improperly recorded.

That is one reason I was thinking of using a headphone amp to solve the problem.

70Chevelle

Reaction score
My 07 does the same thing, just not as bad. It basically comes down to the MP3 player. I have a Microsoft Zune, which kinda has a lousy low output. My friend hooked his player( i think a Zen?) in my Tahoe and it was much louder.

The Sony headunit I had in my last truck you could adjust the level of the line in to compensate for a weak mp3 player....I wish GM had that!

HofB99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My iPod Nano pumps out @ a pretty good volume level. I have the volume up pretty loud on it, but no complaints here...it's not too low @ all...:thumbsup: