How do I program Home-Link?? Need Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lowboy44

Reaction score
I just bought an 01 Tahoe and would like to program the Home-Link.
Any help would greatly be apreciated

RenegadeTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought an 01 Tahoe and would like to program the Home-Link.
Any help would greatly be apreciated

What brand of garage door opener do you have? How old is it? Can you see a model number? I was a garage door installer / technician for 6 years... I've programmed many of these.

If you don't have a manual, basically, you start by clearing out the codes (I believe you hold the first and third buttons for like 20-30 seconds simultaneously.)

Then, you program the button you want to use. To do this:
1. Press and hold the button you want to use on the home-link. The light should start flashing.
2. Press the button on your garage door opener. The light will flash fast, then go out (I believe... it's been a few years, excuse my mistakes)
3. If you have a non-rolling code opener, your homelink should now operate your garage door. If you have a rolling-code opener (Genie Intellicode, Liftmaster / Chamberlain / Craftsman Security+ and billion code) you will have to program your homelink to your opener. To do that, you press the "Learn button" on the garage door opener (Liftmaster = Green / Purple / Orange button, Genie = black / purple button) then...

For Genie ... go to your homelink and press the button 3 times. The garage door should operate on the 3rd time.

For Liftmaster / Chamberlain / Craftsman - press and hold the button until the lights on the opener flash. Press the button again and the door should operate. :thumbsup:

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
renegade is so nice! i would have just told you to read your owners manual as it walks you through it step by step

RenegadeTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
renegade is so nice! i would have just told you to read your owners manual as it walks you through it step by step

LOL... well, if he's anything like me... he doesn't have the owner's manual...

BTW - the owner's manual doesn't show the last few steps for rolling-code openers. :thumbsup:

(at least it didn't the last time I programmed a homelink-compatible car)

Not to mention... that was all off the top of my head... didn't have to research anything to find it. I have a lot of crap rattling around up there...