How hard to put a Double Din in a 97 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Biggwaukegan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a buddy of mine who has a new double din kenwood dvd player. I no that it wont fit right in, but how hard is it to custom fit it? wouldnt the ac/heater controls get in the way of it? if its too much :(hassle im not gonna even mess with it. thanks

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive seen it done, gotta move the heater controls down and cut the dash out for them to fit down into where the orig. cd player is.. and then modify for the double din to fit in and still have a way of using the orig. fasteners

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive seen some pretty sick double din set-ups in full size chevy's (a few were in some kick-ass custom dashes.)

it probably wouldn't be that hard to do, but i don't think i'd put that much time into it honestly. i'd just get a motorized flip up video head unit.

Last edited:

Audio1Tahoe

Reaction score
I have done quite a few, including my 95. All that needs done is, depending on opening size of unit, measure the width of unit and use a dremel to cut the thin space between the heater a/c control and factory opening. Then you can use some ABS plastic to fill in the 1/2 inch of gap on the sides where the factory used to span. Some units are deeper than others so depending on that, the rear steel reinforcement behind factory radio may need to be cut with a sawzall. Hope this helps. Thanks. AUDIO 1

Speakeasy

Reaction score
I just ran across this. There is a guy that makes double din kits for 97 tahoes. www.thedetailss.com I bought one for an Impala SS once and it was really good quality. Sometimes tho he runs out.