How many bought extended warranty?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JD Larue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:confused2: How many of you guys bought the GM 5 yr. 100,000 mi. extended warranty with their Tahoe or Yukon? Do you think it's worth the cost? I'm considering it but not sure the $1,050 is worth two years of coverage. Everythings covered for the first 3 years anyway.

What do you guys think???

Hardin Thicke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't. 30,000 miles in 11 months doesn't make it worthwhile for me.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:confused2: How many of you guys bought the GM 5 yr. 100,000 mi. extended warranty with their Tahoe or Yukon? Do you think it's worth the cost? I'm considering it but not sure the $1,050 is worth two years of coverage. Everythings covered for the first 3 years anyway.

is that 5 year bumper to bumper. as you already have one for the powertrain.

sshepherd

Reaction score
I bought a 7yr/100K for $1,250. Bumper to Bumper with a $100 Deductable after the 3ry/36K expires. I rarely if ever buy an extended warranty buy my LT3 has so many electric and electronic gadgets, I thought the cost was reasonable. Finance guy started at $2,200 and every time I said no thank you the price got lower.

JD Larue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The standard powertrain is 5/100,000. The warranty I refer to is the 5/100 for all the other stuff. Not the powertrain. That's 2 additional years added onto the standard warranty for non-powertrain stuff. ie: radio, heater, seat motors, etc.

JD Larue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a 7yr/100K for $1,250. Bumper to Bumper with a $100 Deductable after the 3ry/36K expires. I rarely if ever buy an extended warranty buy my LT3 has so many electric and electronic gadgets, I thought the cost was reasonable. Finance guy started at $2,200 and every time I said no thank you the price got lower.

Your right and that's why I'm thinking so hard about it. Alot of computer controlled stuff.

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a 6yr/72k warranty on mine, unfortunately at the rate i'm going i'll be lucky if i'm not over that milege in 5...

elbeto

Reaction score

Stay away from the extended warranty the stealerships sell. Try warranty direct great company.

www.warrantydirect.com

sdoo25

Reaction score

I will be buying one before we hit 12 months/12k miles. I'll either buy it from:

http://www.gmoutlet.com/

or use their prices to get it lower from a local dealer. I did use their quote to get my local dealer down on a previous car purchase. You can negotiate the price of the warranty w/any dealer. Also, I'd rather have the GMPP warranty than any 3rd party since it's backed by GMAC.

gilbo

Reaction score
GMPP MAJOR GUARD is well worth it, if u plan on keeping the vehicle for extended period of time.

all it takes is one or two thing to go wrong for it to pay for itself

a/c compressor,tranny,etc...

but do shop around like vehicle u will get varing prices from dealer to dealer

i agree with sdoo25, gmoutlet has the best price generally. and dont forget to deduct an extra $50 off the price listed on the chart.

csperan69

Reaction score
Please clarify your warranty extension.Is it 7 years AFTER 3 years gone and/or 100,000 m which becomes 136,000m? or 4 years and 64,000 m additional.
Also- since any GM dealership can sell GMPP product to anyone in any state,which dealer did you buy from?

Last edited:

jscgolf

Reaction score
Yep I bought it ... 1st time ever. 100,300 / 5 yr. bumper to bumper, -0- deductible ('07 LTZ had 300 mi. on it). Of course this was just thrown in on the ZERO % financing ... it is the absolute best way of cutting the cost- no interest that is... ALSO - ask about the "employee" discount (tell them you know somebody and see what happens !!!)

gilbo

Reaction score
Please clarify your warranty extension.Is it 7 years AFTER 3 years gone and/or 100,000 m which becomes 136,000m? or 4 years and 64,000 m additional.
Also- since any GM dealership can sell GMPP product to anyone in any state,which dealer did you buy from?

hope this helps

WHEN WILL THE PLAN EXPIRE?
The plan length and miles starts at the date of the GMPP purchase and at the odometer reading at time of purchase.

Example #1
Example: On January 1, 2008 you purchase a GMPP on your eight (8) month old Corvette (Original GM In-Service date was April 1, 2007) with 8,000 miles on the odometer. You purchase a 72 month / 72,000 mile GMPP Major Guard. Your GMPP plan would expire on January 1, 2014 or 80,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Example #2
Example: On January 1, 2008 you purchase a GMPP on your 35 month old Corvette (Original GM In-Service date was December 1, 2005) with 35,000 miles on the odometer. You Purchase a 36 month / 36,000 miles GMPP Major Guard. Your GMPP Plan would expire on January 1, 2011 or 71,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Example #3.
Example: On January 1, 2008 you try to purchase a GMPP on your 47 month old Corvette (Original GM In-Service date was December 1, 2004) with 9,000 miles on the odometer. You cannot purchase a GMPP because your vehicle is outside the original GM factory time/miles period. GM’s FIRM RULE is that you cannot purchase a GMPP on your vehicle unless it is within the 3 year / 36,000 miles (4 year / 50,000 miles for Cadillac and Select 2006 & Newer Buicks and Hummers) original warranty time/miles period

gilbo

Reaction score

follow the direction to get the price emailed to u, then u can either buy from them or use there price to shop around to your local dealers and see if they will beat it. from my past experience they will.

and also any GM dealer (buick, pontiac, gmc, etc...) will sell the GMPP for your GM vehicle.

this is for the GMPP MAJOR GUARD

uofmz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no cause ill get another one before the warranty runs out...

but if thats not the case i will buy an extended warranty

csperan69

Reaction score
I will be buying one before we hit 12 months/12k miles. I'll either buy it from:

or use their prices to get it lower from a local dealer. I did use their quote to get my local dealer down on a previous car purchase. You can negotiate the price of the warranty w/any dealer. Also, I'd rather have the GMPP warranty than any 3rd party since it's backed by GMAC.

I think you will be as "shocked' as I was when I checked my local Fla. dealer.He was almost 2x internet quotes and about 30% higher than other out of state dealers MSRP.
But: he will give 0% interest
For example - 4yr 60M on 07 Hoe (over 26k) was $1100 more than internet quote.

Remember - pricing is set at under 12k- under 24k and under 36k
Over 36k- you cannot buy a GMPP warranty

JD Larue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wound up NOT buying one because everything I've read about them since I started this thread (Consumer reports, financial advice articles in the paper, etc., says it's a BAD investment and not worth the money they get for them! The insurance company's that offer these extended warranties make a ton of money off us and in the long run the new cars/trucks of today don't break stuff like they used to.

I don't know, I guess the peace of mind you have after you buy one might be worth the $1200 or so bucks they get for them. And if something expensive breaks they're definitely worth it. I bought one for my 03 Hummer H2 but the only things that ever broke weren't even covered by the extended warranty.

So...long story short, I decided not to buy one. But for all you guys that did, peace of mind could be worth it.