How many miles on 1 tank?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Tap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I usually get around 300-325 in 50/50 city and highway driving. I think the best I've ever gotten is around 375 on a trip with all highway miles. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought my Tahoe had a 23 gallon tank. I don't think I've ever crammed any more fuel in there that, even when I was bone dry.

yukondoit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
According to the manual it has a 26 gallon tank. I think most I filled up on was 24 gallons. The low fuel light came but I didn't get around to filling it up till later on down the road. 22gal is the normal amount from low fuel light to full tank.

ac1975

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The most I have ever filled up is a little over 22 gals. I usually always fill up when my gauge is close to empty but no fuel light. Only once did I wait that long. Even when you have the low fuel light, you still have about 2 gallons in there I would believe.

2000Tahoe, cool! Let us know. You have the same rig as me. Congrats on the purchase. How many miles are on it?

2000tahoe

Reaction score
The most I have ever filled up is a little over 22 gals. I usually always fill up when my gauge is close to empty but no fuel light. Only once did I wait that long. Even when you have the low fuel light, you still have about 2 gallons in there I would believe.

2000Tahoe, cool! Let us know. You have the same rig as me. Congrats on the purchase. How many miles are on it?

107000 miles runs great,i want to get a good baseline then ill be tuning it with my efilive and what i can get out of it.

jgiguere17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm getting about 400-450 depending. Mostly highway, but quite a bit of stop and go. 4.8L, BB tune, CAI, Flowmaster

really?????

400-450? I have a 4.8 no mods and only pull 270-325. what did you have done on the BB tune? and what CAI do you have? pictures?

EZStreet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just running a K&N CAI, Flowmaster exhaust, and a Scan Cable Tune From Blackbear.

Plus I'm only running 20's, I drive 65 on the highway, and I try not to accelerate too hard. Driving habits are most of it IMO.

The tune made the biggest difference of all the mods.

ac1975

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well my truck has a custom muffler. I'm not sure what brand it is, but it defintely has a nice tone, and I'm pretty sure it flows better. I'm going to get a CAI now for sure. Not sure about a BB tune yet. I rarely get my truck over 2k RPMs either. I usually top out at 70MPH on the freeway, and baby the skinny pretty well.

EZStreet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well my truck has a custom muffler. I'm not sure what brand it is, but it defintely has a nice tone, and I'm pretty sure it flows better. I'm going to get a CAI now for sure. Not sure about a BB tune yet. I rarely get my truck over 2k RPMs either. I usually top out at 70MPH on the freeway, and baby the skinny pretty well.

The BB tune is worth every penny. Not only do I get better MPG, but the truck shifts smoother and is much more responsive than it was stock. The exhaust made an great sound difference, but not really too much MPG difference (maybe 1/2 MPG or so). The CAI made an immediate power difference, I could really feel it on acceleration right after I put it on. Expect your truck to idle like s**t for the first 10 startups or so until the excess oil on the filter gets burned off....plus your comp has to adjust for the increased airflow into the engine. And I hate to sound like an old man but seriously, If you drop your highway speed to 65 MPH you'd be amazed how much better mileage you get.

ac1975

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm... maybe that's why I'm not getting as high on MPG. I'll try that and see how many more miles I squeeze of out a tank. So you're saying as far as mileage, it'd be better to do the BB tune vs buying a CAI?

EZStreet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO the BB tune is the better return on your investment if you're just going to do one of the mods (more power, smoother shifting, better MPG). The CAI is an easy install, took me about 45 min and you can pick one up at most auto parts stores. Try to do both.

str8wkd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i get about 320 some normal driving and some ass driving with a fully built trans as the only mod

2000tahoe

Reaction score
Low fuel Light just came on tonight 315 so far.Im gone to run it to work tommorow then fill up and see.

tribalbreak

Reaction score
damn fellas you seem to be getting much better milage them me. the best ive gotten with my 03 nali with the 6.0 is about 270 to the tank (filled about 22.1gal). bone stock except for a K&N drop in. wonder why mine is so much lower? i dont drive to crazy and its a good mix of highway and stop and go

ac1975

Full Access Member
Reaction score
damn fellas you seem to be getting much better milage them me. the best ive gotten with my 03 nali with the 6.0 is about 270 to the tank (filled about 22.1gal). bone stock except for a K&N drop in. wonder why mine is so much lower? i dont drive to crazy and its a good mix of highway and stop and go

I would think the extra 1.2L to .7L would change it a lil bit, plus aren't the Denalis AWD? Our trucks are PT4WD or 2WD.....

ac1975

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Low fuel Light just came on tonight 315 so far.Im gone to run it to work tommorow then fill up and see.

Sounds like our trucks are on par.. Do you drive it pretty lightly? Or haul ass all the time? Interested to see what you fill up at...

2000tahoe

Reaction score
Sounds like our trucks are on par.. Do you drive it pretty lightly? Or haul ass all the time? Interested to see what you fill up at...

I tried to be easy but consistant ,it took 19.6 gallons .i got gas this morning before work so light had just come on,so that shouldve left 6.4 gallons still in there if its accurate.

tribalbreak

Reaction score
I would think the extra 1.2L to .7L would change it a lil bit, plus aren't the Denalis AWD? Our trucks are PT4WD or 2WD.....

yea the denalis are all time awd and i guess it does make a difference... it doesnt seem like boost gets as bad milage as i do, but he does have more work done to his nali then i do....

2005_Z56_Tahoe

Reaction score
I'm getting 320 in a bad week. Normally I get 340ish. I have a 2005 NYSP 2WD Tahoe with the 5.3 and 3.73 gears. The trucks got 130K on it and it still gets 320 to the tank and that is straight up beating on it. On the highway i saw 20 mpg, but I only went on one long trip once. I usually wind up putting 23 gallons in at a time.