Sun shell broken? Radiator replaced

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marcsc

Reaction score
Hey all - new to the forums and looking for some insight. I've been driving my sister's '99 Tahoe which I don't know much about. It was overheating, so we took it in to be looked at and ended up with a new radiator, which had cracked. They said the lines were rusted, but managed to get them off. The reason I mention the lines is because 5 days later the transmission went out. My question is, could there be a correlation? Only thing that seems to connect the two is the cooler lines. Obviously, I'm not a car guy...

Here's the more detailed story... Two days after the radiator was replaced, I drove it about 20 miles out of town. It was fine up until the drive home. As I was coming to a stop, I heard a metallic "clunk" and the truck sort of jerked/shuddered, like the brakes grabbed too tight. This also caused the check engine light to come on, but that's been going on and off for months. Anyway, when I proceeded to accelerate (gently) the truck jerked forward. The rest of the drive home was smooth, and no other problems for a few days. My sister takes the freeway to work, so there was some decent driving between that incident and this next one just 3 days later. I was entering fast traffic after a full stop, so hit the gas pretty hard, then suddenly heard a clunk again. The RPMs shot up, but no acceleration. I eased the gas and managed to get it into gear, but the rest of the way home it seemed to have trouble leaving 1st gear. Then, after parking in a lot, discovered there is no reverse. I got it home and haven't driven it since. I checked the fluids - all good, right level, right color, not burned.

Google research tells me it's the sun shell. At 230K miles, I get the feeling my sister is lucky this didn't happen sooner. But could this be related to the radiator replacement? It just seems too coincidental... Any thoughts are appreciated!!! Thanks!