how to install spark plugs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jgiguere17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can anyone help me with a how-to install new plugs?

thank you

also this should help with MPG right?

jgiguere17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also what should I gap them at? I know I need anti sieze

what do you recommend for plugs? NGK? Bosch?

ware8083

Reaction score
I for one always change plugs with wires. and its a straight foward change take out old and put in new ones with the antiseize. and I dont have my car in front of me right now but if you look on top of your radiator and by the picture of your pulleys in the writing they say what the gap should be also if you get your plugs from autozone they will tell you what the gap should be.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll need an angle socket for the rear cylinders, get some ngk tr55s and gap them to .040 with a feeler gauge or plug gap tool. Plugs are part # 2238 from any local napa/advance/checker. Don't forget to use a small amount of anti-seize on the threads. Pretty easy to do once the plugs boots are off, you'll need an extension to get a couple but it isn't too difficult. Use the search function if you have any more questions, I'm pretty sure this has been covered a number of times previously. Wires only need to be replaced if you have a failure, the stock boots are very effective and rarely need to be replaced.

Grocery Getter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's an easy job, I finished it in an hour or so and much of that was due to dropping a plug behind the aluminum shielding on the exhaust manifold. From what I have been able to deduce wires don't need to be changed unless they fail and as far as what plugs to use the consensus is whatever the OEM plugs are, mine are delcos but NGK is just as good they come pre gapped at .04 and that is where I was advised to leave them. Some guys are gapping them to .06. Getting the wires off can be a challenge I just used a long pair of needle nose to grip the heat shield and leverage them off the manifold and they all came off pretty easy and I didn't break any wires that way. Good luck.

667theneighbour

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use a dedicated sparkplug socket. They have a rubber insert that holds the plug both for removing and installing. This prevent you from "dropping a plug behind the aluminum shielding on the exhaust manifold". :)

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol yeah I forgot to mention using a plug socket, I honestly don't remember using a standard socket to remove a plug...ever.

667theneighbour

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replased the plugs on a 8,1 liter when I installed an LPG kit and with a proper socket and wrench with extender with a joint it wasn't a big deal. Maybe a couple of skinned knuckles. :)

Grocery Getter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use a dedicated sparkplug socket. They have a rubber insert that holds the plug both for removing and installing. This prevent you from "dropping a plug behind the aluminum shielding on the exhaust manifold". :)

I was indeed using a spark plug socket..... it was during the insertion of the new plug by hand that the manifold ate my plug......it was easier for me to get the plugs started by hand without the socket in most cases but things like hungry manifolds get'cha

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Because they're cheap and work like a champ. I'd get the delcos from the dealer if you want a platinum (longer life) but the ngks will put down 800whp so they're more than adequate. Bosch are crap especially the platinum +4.

jgiguere17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the platinums are really that bad? I had NGK Iridiums before in my little acura and I loved them.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NGK yes but not bosch. You should spend the money on something that would make a difference, or just get the ngk iridiums if you feel it's necessary to have some baller sh*t.

rockman20

Reaction score
One thing to throw in, dielectric grease. I put a little in the boot before I snap onto the plug. Ensures a good electrical connection, resists corrosion, and will allow for an easier removeal if you ever decide to change plugs again.

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know some people say not to worry about the wires but I've never been able to pull wires and not ruin at least one or two. I replaced my wires with Bosch wires, some folks don't like them but they've been fine for me, and NGK Power Plats TR5GP pre-gapped at .040 as per NGK recommendation. In fact, NGK says not to adjust the gap as you can ruin the tiny center electrode. The main thing you need is about two or three different lengths of extensions, time, and flexibility. this gave me an immediate 2 mpg highway bump.

Oh yeah, the anti-sieze and dielectric grease are both good ideas.

kdarsey

Reaction score
Old thread bringing up to add..
I may be the last person on earth to discover this but on the passenger side rear I found that if you put your spark plug socket on the plug and then use a flex head ratchet with a 3/4 in. shallow 6 point socket it is the perfect combination for this location and also works well on the drivers side for the one behind the steering rod(?)
That is if your spark plug socket has the hex head end on it....most do.