How to Paint Chrome

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YukonJacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The chrome on the front of my "00" Yukon, is fading, How do I go about painting it, what all is involved. What color would you suggest, my yuk is Pewter, I have the Black ABS Grill with a Stainless GMC.

Or should I seek Professional help

Big Tap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you mean doing it yourself, I'd probably lean towards taking it to a professional. When I asked about painting my rear chrome bumper, I was told they could do it with pretty good results, but if someone bumped into it, the paint would have more of a tendency to flake off. Just something to consider before you do it. From what I remember, they said the prep would involve a lot of scuffing and a good primer to promote adhesion to the chrome.

992door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have always heard that you need to take all of the chrome off then a couple coats of primer, couple coats of paint, then clear it. But I am no painter

Copper&BlackYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well... you can paint chrome if preped properly and with the right primer, but you wouldn't want to b/c if the chrome underneath begins to flake, crack etc. it would destroy your paint job. I suggest you call around to your local chrome shops, and they can strip the chrome for short money. They will dip it in an acid bath that will only eat away the plating. Then I would paint it the day you get it back, you would be surprise how quickly rust sets in on a raw piece.

I should have read better, I didn't realize it was the ABS plastic grill chrome you were talking about. I don't believe it is actually chrome on that just a chrome like finish, but it does flake and peel so it's not a good idea to paint. What I did to get a black grille is I bought an aftermarket bare plastic front grille, the kind found on some sierras. Preped it with sanding, Plastic prep, & proper Primer, then Painted it. If I remember right the grille didn't even cost me $100, and fit perfect.

Last edited:

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was wondering about this too, since I have the same year and same color, with the same problem...mine has tons of little rust spots though.

Is the "chrome" plating on the plastic pieces ACTUAL chrome, or does GM paint it on? I know for sure that everything I'd like to repaint is definitely plastic, so I'm wondering if whatever they use to attain the chrome effect can't just be scuffed and repainted without too much hassle.

I'd like to go flat black with all of it. Cheap and simple, and less flashy.