I bought it!! 2000 Tahoe Z71, Oregon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scoobey

Reaction score
This is the one I took too long to decide over, then got sold to someone else. The other guy never came back with his check for the balance by the date promised and didn't return several calls, so the dealer sold it to me. 109,900 miles, $6,000, Z71 package, leather in good shape, super clean except for a couple gnarls (piece broken off passenger side mirror housing, small spot of cancer on tailgate).

Seller's description and photos here (should stay up for a little while, anyway).

Good stuff: for PPI, I took it to the dealer where the prior owner had the car serviced, and they told me the transmission was serviced in '05 and the serpentine belt was replaced in '06, both of which make me feel good. No 100,000 mile old tranny fluid to make me sweat the decision whether to flush it or not!

The dealer I took it to for a PPI did give me some second thoughts -- image of their sheet is attached. Biggest concern was the alleged leak on the intake manifold, which I've heard can cause big trouble if coolant gets into the cylinders. But I took it to an independent mechanic for a second (more down to earth) opinion, and he looked, said it's nothing. Some crystallized Dexron around some kind of sensor or something on the top right front of the block (a hose or wire housing going into a black plastic connector?), and a slight oiliness on the block (?) below a horizontal gasket (head gasket?) on the front of the engine, pretty high up. Anyone else have any concern that he was missing something and that this might actually be something I should pay closer attention to? (I'm actually picking up the car Monday and can post photos then.)

Anyone reviewing the rest of the inspecting dealer's notes and making comments here will receive one (1) complimentary bicentennial brownie button, as well. Also would appreciate any suggestions on things I should do/buy right away (maintenance items to get on top of, must-have accessories, etc.). (This is gonna be a family road/snow car mostly, btw, not to be lifted etc.)

Thanks for all the help everyone gave as I made this decision!

Attachments

• Scan10001.jpg
    Scan10001.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 33

tahoeman21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Z71 tahoe.....

hey whats up? I have a 99 chevy tahoe.... i love it but i have to let it go soon..... anyways, you should take special consideration to the intake manifold leak..... i bought my tahoe not knowing about the intake manifold leak problem...if the tahoe that you're looking does have this problem, you may end up overhauling the engine because the dex. fluid already made contact with the oil which is bad for your bearing, it is most likely that it did.... i learned this the hard way!!!! this costed me $2800.. personally, don't buy it!!!!!!!!!!!! i would step up for a newer tahoe, say 03-up because they do not have these engine issues.. but its up to you...

Scoobey

Reaction score
What exactly IS the manifold leak problem?

What the second mechanic showed me wasn't anything like I'd think it was -- no white smoke in the exhaust, no coolant or water showing up on the dipstick, etc. Just some crystallizing around that unit on top. I'd love to hear more discussion of this...

tahoeman21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Intake Manifold....

This intake manifold is pretty sneaky..... most of the time it will not show you any symptom like smokey tailpipe.... however, if you do happen to constantly add coolant to the resorvior or the radiator... this means that the coolan is making its way into the engine oil.... another thing to check is the oil cap for milky goo underneath the cap...

Scoobey

Reaction score
Thanks, Tahoeman. I'll check under that cap. If the leak's relatively minor, is it OK to run it, or are the horror stories about totally blown engines based on relatively small leaks? Really don't want to ruin my engine, really don't want to spend $800-1,000 unnecessarily, really don't want to start looking for another truck instead of this one...

tahoeman21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would suggest to fix this problem as soon as possible, the leak will get worse and worse throughout time... i would recommend to drive the tahoe the least as possible for the time being.... ultimately the tahoe will overheat and it will become undriveable from then....

JsnChristianson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GMT 400 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71 in pewter metallic, my absolute favorite Tahoe manufactured to date. I'm envious, great purchase!