I think Heated Windshield Option Melted down

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

khool750

Reaction score
This morning it was F-ing freezing outside. I think it was like 12 or something. Anyway, ran my truck for like 15 mins or so, so it would be nice and cozy, and got in the truck to go to work, and there was a little bit of frost on the window. So I cranked up the heated washers, and it went through the cycle of heating, but never sprayed the windows, so I look down at the button, and the light is flashing really fast, you know like there is a malfunction. After that, the light on the button went off and never came back on, and I don't know if the washer system is working either. I would imagine that the washer fluid didn't freeze, but I didn't verify this by looking as I was on my way to work, but I haven't ever seen washer fluid freeze. Really bad inconvenience because we finally got snow, and it worked perfect yesterday, but doesn't work at all today. Really would suck to take it to dealer and they give hell about using it, lol. Sounds like something the dealer would do right? Anyway, wanted to know if anyone on here has ever had problems with there heated systems due to the cold? Has anyone seen the fasting flashing light? Has anyone had their washer fluid freeze? Thanks for your help.:(

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was recalled, took it in they unhooked it. This was 2 months ago. december 18th. I went back, they had heavy duty wires and an inline fuse in for it and put it in for me. Works great now. I never had the flashing light though, i just took it in real quick as there is a fire risk. Better bring it in fast, Or run out side and check to make sure its not burning up. JMO. :hlp:

bad63lac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was the light flashing faster than normal?

The light on the button is supposed to flash while the wipers go through the 4 cycles of heated spray.

It should start blinking, heat up the fluid, spray/wipe, wipe, pause, spray/wipe, wipe, pause... (does that 4 times)

Perhaps your nozzles got clogged up. There may have been fluid in it from the day before that possibly froze?

The fluid that comes stock should not freeze but there are fluids that can freeze. I have a bottle of Rain-X washer fluid which I havent used because it says 32*+ on it.

Did you ever add washer fluid yourself? Or someone other than the dealership? (like some cheapie oil change place)

bad63lac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW... I do this to test: try it again after you've driven the truck.

The heat from the engine should definitely unfreeze everything (if that was the issue). If it doesnt work after the engine was nice and hot, there's something wrong.

khool750

Reaction score
Checked again, and here's what I found

I just went outside to find out if maybe it was frozen water on the sprayers and that is what it was. I pushed the button and it cycled again, and when it sprayed, there was all this smoke from the nozzles, you know from the heated fluid, and then it just dripped out, and I could see it was frozen, and it flashed fast again and shut down. I guess it's a safety thing so it doesn't destroy the unit. But hopefully it will thaw completely and everything will be fine. I guess that means that the washers are useless if it freezes really bad, lol. I mean the fluid in the washers aren't frozen but the nozzles are, and I guess to the point that the heated fluid didn't melt it all causing a blockage. So I'm imagining you are supposed to clear that thing before you use it. Don't they test these things? lol. I still love my truck, with all its shiny glory. I just don't want the damn thing to burn up, but I have the recall fix, so I guess if anything, I will just have to make a trip to the dealer for new parts if it does melt down. I will keep you guys posted.

bad63lac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The "smoke" is just steam. I love that part of it... :)

BTW, yeah, the heated washer fluid isnt meant to replace an ice scraper. If there's ice/snow on top of the nozzles it may not work. Even though the spray is heated up before firing, it may not pass through the nozzle if it's blocked.

The heated spray is mainly (as I see it) good for keeping everything clean/clear while you're already driving and ice forming on your windshield.

khool750

Reaction score
naw it does not work without heat, but i should have know to scrape the ice off. but i think once it does clear up it will be fine. I figured that hot stuff would just met right through the ice. I guess you find out something new everyday. Thanks for the replies. I think it will be cool, but I guess I'm probably the only one that tried to burn through the ice huh? lol.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
to clarify. THe fluid is not what heats up. The nossles do. Just an FYI.

Which is why on a GMT 800 the nossles are on the wiper and on an gmt 900 they are on the hood.

bad63lac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
to clarify. THe fluid is not what heats up. The nossles do. Just an FYI.

Which is why on a GMT 800 the nossles are on the wiper and on an gmt 900 they are on the hood.

RT, I love you and all..... but...

To clarify, you are wrong & wrong. :D

First, our GMT 900's have the nozzles on the wipers, not the hoods.

Second, the nozzles are not heated, the fluid is.

The heated washer fluid system is made by a company called "MicroHeat". The product which GM uses in their vehicles is called "HotShot" which is made by MicroHeat.

Here is the description directly from the manufacturer...

HotShot, the revolutionary hot washer fluid and windshield de-icing system, will be available on GM 2007 full-size trucks including the Chevrolet Silverado and the GMC Sierra, scheduled for arrival in the fourth quarter of 2006.

HotShot is currently featured in General Motors SUVs including Cadillac Escalade ESV and Cadillac Escalade EXT, Chevy Avalanche, Chevrolet Tahoe, Chevrolet Suburban, and GMC Yukon Denali and GMC Yukon XL Denali. Manufactured by Microheat, Inc., HotShot is the first product in 75 years to solve the problem of frozen or grimy windshields.

"Drivers of full-size trucks can now enjoy HotShot, which is useful in every season and driving condition," said Microheat President and CEO Gary Pilibosian. "The system automatically removes snow, ice, bugs and road grime from windshields in under 90 seconds with the push of a button."

Introduced commercially in 2002, HotShot features a patented cycling technology that intelligently heats fluid to an exact temperature and sprays the fluid at a precise time interval to quickly and efficiently remove snow, ice, bugs and road grime from vehicles. The all-season, all-weather system can be activated at vehicle start-up and maintains hot fluid for use by drivers on demand during normal driving conditions.

:gy:

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
crap. thats what I get for drinking vodka gimlits on the rocks before 10 a.m. :yesnod:

I thought I read someware that the nossles were heated. Hmm. What eve. Just as long as they work.

khool750

Reaction score
You guys are a gumbo of info, lol. I thought that was some interesting facts, but with that said, I still wonder why the heated fluid was not able to de-ice the nozzles. I tried it again at lunch and everything was good, so one thing is good about it the system, it shuts down in the even that the cycle does not complete. Whew:appl: I think that the technology is awsome and can't really imagine why gm didn't have that company perfect it and make it a standard on all their cars. I think that a lot of the bells and whistles should be standard instead of optional, and they should add other improvements from there as options. I'm in manufacturing and engineering now, and indirectly I'm involved in transportation, and you just have to know that these auto companies are just greedy. The profit that they make on these vehicles are astronomical. LOL. And these imports are even worse. The big three could blow these foreign companies out the water if they only cared more for the consumer demand and what it means to truely satisfy the customer. If you ever feel like it, look up GM's accomplishments in technology, as well as Ford and Chrysler. If it wasn't for these companies, a lot of the bs that these other companies boast, would never be, or it would just be coming around as a new technology at some really high cost. There are so many technologies used in these cars from the 40's-60's and it's crazy. Well, thanks for your input, and I imagine, my experience with this thing might have helped someone else. Until the next problem, I'm out.:thumbsup:

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The smoke you see is actually heated water vapor. Steam is an invisible gas.

DonnyP

Reaction score
I feel like a politician throwing good $ after bad

The silver bullet for the LTZ rather than optioning up a LT was that heated wiper system. I had these illusions of reduced scraping, but I have found that this is a gimick that don't melt anything more than a good deicing washer fluid would do.

Does anyone think this really makes a diff?

bad63lac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The smoke you see is actually heated water vapor. Steam is an invisible gas.

Close. :thumbsup:

Yes, the white "smoke-like" puff we see is not actually "steam". It is an effect of steam production.

During common speech/vocabulary, "steam" is what most people refer to as the "puff" they see. So technically, "steam" can refer to the correct scientific meaning or the common meaning. So both are equally correct.

BTW, the owners manual also calls it "steam". ;)

Definition of "steam"
In physical chemistry, and in engineering, steam refers to vaporized water. It is a pure, completely invisible gas. At standard temperature and pressure, pure steam (unmixed with air, but in equilibrium with liquid water) occupies about 1,600 times the volume of an equal mass of liquid water. In the atmosphere, the partial pressure of water is much lower than 1 atm, therefore gaseous water can exist at temperatures much lower than 100 °C (212 °F) (see water vapor and humidity).

In common speech, steam most often refers to the white mist that condenses above boiling water as the hot vapor ("steam" in the first sense) mixes with the cooler air. This mist is made of tiny droplets of liquid water, not gaseous water, so it is no longer technically steam. Pure steam is present at the base of the spout of a steaming kettle where there is no visible vapor.

So to be 100% correct, scientifically steam cannot be seen.

Steam does form in the nozzle of the wiper in this case.

Upon discharge, it mixes with cool air and produces a "mist"(puff).

In common vocabulary, the visible effect is called "steam".

If everyone calls a dog "a cat", then it's "a cat" (and correct). :)

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine gets heavy frost and lite ice off.

Re: Steam def'n, was just trying to educate the masses one at a time. Thanks for your essay on the subject.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UH HO!!!!!! Nerd fight. UH HO!!!!!!!!!!

yall lost me on the sceintific table stuff. I hated science for a reason. Math and English are my favorite. But the rest I just kinda glaze over for LOL

nc6600

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The silver bullet for the LTZ rather than optioning up a LT was that heated wiper system. I had these illusions of reduced scraping, but I have found that this is a gimick that don't melt anything more than a good deicing washer fluid would do.

Does anyone think this really makes a diff?

My moms 08' 'Burb is an LT3 & it has heated washer fluid.