I was told by the dealer upgrade of Standard radion in my '07 Yukon would be pricy.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skegeemann

Reaction score
I found a Navigation unit on ebay for $800. I am a complete novice at this. I want to upgrade my standard radio in my 2007 Yukon SLT to a navigation system. I spoke to the dealer and they advised me that after getting all the necessary connectors and other components my costs could exceed $3000. Is this true?

I just need a little guidance before i proceed. What will I need for the install and what you think the costs should come out to be. I am trying to get this done for my wife as a present.

Can anyone help me, by letting me know the facts?

Thanks

StL07Tahoe

Reaction score
That seems a little steep for just the connections and install. My dealer has a listed price of $2900 for the NAV unit and install. If you really like the unit, maybe try a car stereo dealer for the install.

jayhawk25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what he said...if that price doesnt include the unit itself that is a total rip. I wouldnt pay more than $700 for just an install of a nav unit and harnesses and what not. Check out a reputable car stereo installer.

LVYUKYUK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been beating myself up on this one as well. I looked into the stock navigation system and found it to be really expensive, even if I bought the unit off ebay. I talked to my dealer and their suggestion was a Pioneer Nav system that included the back up camera for $1800. (stock was $2400 no camera) I checked with a local shop (702motoring.com) and the suggestion was the same. Pioneer Nav system for $1800. I'm still on the fence and leaning toward just a portable system in the high $300-400 range. I know it's not as pretty, but I don't really feel I would use the nav all too much for nearly $2k. Wifey's Lexus has it and we use it maybe once or twice a month. However, the bluetooth is pretty damn cool. I dunno, for $3K I may lean toward some wheels and tires instead. Just can't pull the trigger.

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed a nav unit in my '07 LTZ last week and it couldn't have been easier. A brand new Nav unit (ebay) for $575 shipped - VSS/Voice Harness $60 + 45minute install. The 45 min install also included the GM Lockpick . I am amazed at what the dealers charge for things, especially with a 'plug and play' type setup like what's in the Yukons/Tahoes. I would like to not that the install does involve much more if you don't already have the Bose system.

skegeemann

Reaction score
Hi ajs800,

So when you ordered your unit, you had to order the VSS/Voice Harnesss separate. If you don't mind me asking, what is the GM Lockpick? And what does the VSS do?

The last question, did you go to a stero shop to have your installed? and did you have to have the system flashed or programmed by the dealer?

Since you've had it done already, I'm hoping you can fill in some of the gaps. If you don't mind me asking, on ebay who did you purchase yours from?

Thanks

skegeemann

Reaction score
I think the dealer guy I spoke to was just trying to steer me away from getting my unit from an ebay sale. He kept mentioning that he works with the crime unit of the police department for these vehicles becuase of all the theft rings selling these things.

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the ebayer was Gilbertv219. The $550 price included the antenna, but since shipping was delayed 5days he included a brand new nav disc for free. Typically the disc and sometimes antenna are not included. I found a deal...typically you can get one for $700 or less. The VSS harness connects the nav unit to the speed sensing system in the truck (this keeps the GPS location accurate when the satellite signal drops), and the Voice harness goes to the onstar box for the voice recogination option(this is not necessary if you don't plan to use the hands free stuff). Check out ebay item number 140250873448. Everything is plug and play except for the VSS wire. This, however, is very easy to locate and tap into. Dealer Programming may be necessary if the unit comes from an existing truck...it shouldn't be anymore than 1hr labor charge. Feel free to send me a PM if you have any other questions. I recently purchased my tahoe and wasn't sure of anything, and figured this all out in just a few days. The toughest part was removing the damn trim surrounding the radio.

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The GM lockpick is an overriding device that allows nav inputting and DVD functions while driving. It too is a simple plug and play install...2 minutes if you already have the radio pulled out.

skegeemann

Reaction score
I think there is a unit that does not require the bose system.

Can someone verify this?