Intake and Throttle Body ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattjames07

Reaction score
I did a search on here looking for intake and throttle body spacer options but I have a 2 questions:

1. I have decided to go with a K&N intake kit but which series is better (57-3023-1 or 77-3023KP) or the prefered kit among Tahoe drivers. I can get them around the $200.00 price range so that is not a factor. I use my HOE as my boat tower (21' Bayliner @ 3,000 lbs) so I am looking for power increases as well as HOPEFULLY MPG increases. That being said...

2. Adding a throttle body spacer. I have noticed some claims to add power and MPG with a SS throttle body spacer. I did some google searches for that but since I know absolutly nothing about them they turned up unsucessful. Where can I get a SS TBS and does it truly add to the performance of the vehicle.

By the way I have a 2000 Hoee 5.3L 4WD..if that matters any.

Thanks for the help I love this forum!!!

JennaBear

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If you are going with a K&N, get the 77 series.

I would not waste my money on a TBS.

JennaBear

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Aluminum tubing, and design. Better for keeping lower temps for your air. Cooler air=denser air.

This is also based off of some dyno/street results. The 57series, however, was not tested, the 77 was one of the intakes tested. Basically, any open element intake will be good.

If you do get any K&N just try to get some different couplers as the ones in the system are not the greatest.

mattjames07

Reaction score
On the site the 57 series claims 3-4 more hp over the 77. I was under the impression that the aluminum tubing would attract/hold more heat over the plastic. The only reason I question it is because I have heard that the volant is the best and they use plastic tubing as well. I dont know much about this stuff thats why I am asking these questions?

Where/what couplers would you recommend?

Thanks for the info!!!

JennaBear

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I would stick with an open element CAI. I dont think you can go wrong with either of those two, but you wont get much unless you throw an exhaust on the tailend. You need to allow the increased airflow coming in, to flow at the same rate out. Taking that one step further, the engine does not know what to do with the extra air in/out so you would want to tune it to change the air/fuel ratios.

mattjames07

Reaction score
well thanks for all of that knowledge...I am gonna stick with the 77 series.

Why did you say no TBS?

I noticed on your site the magnaflow catback system. you said it cost 360, may I ask where you got that from?

JennaBear

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
TBSs worked on older vehiclesby helping to improve atomization but on newer trucks with dry intakes they don't do anything.

To be honest, I dont really remember where I got the system but www.hottexhaust.com comes to mind.