Interior Lights Staying On

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98tahoe4x4

Reaction score
I have a 1998 2 door tahoe, the problem started this morning, i went out everything was fine after i got back in my truck the interior lights wont go off. I checked to make sure all the doors and the hatch were closed but they still stay on. I tried the dome override button but it didnt do anything. Would a bad dome over ride button cause this? Has anybody had this type of problem? The lights stay on all the time even if it is running.

BigBlackBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you have the dimmer switch clicked to the on position. If you click the dimmer wheel one click downward the lights should work with the over ride button.

jimmy b

Reaction score
Look real close at the door jam switches they are bad for poping out the back of the switch or one side of it breaking in the hole.

zerominded

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you're still having issues, just pull the fuse til you figure out the actual reason

98tahoe4x4

Reaction score
i tried that and the override still doesnt work. I checked all the door switches and they still stay on. I took the headlight switch out played with the override button alittle bit and and hooked it back up when i did that the lights stayed off but as soon as i pushed the button back out and and back in they still stayed on. Do you think the headlight switch needs replacing. or is it something else. I am going to mess with the button a little more and i will let you know what i find. thanks for the info

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds to me like a bad door jamb switch like jimmy b said.

Start with the cheap things...Go ahead and pick some up at the dealer (they're around $7 each if I remember correctly). I've bought some "new" ones off ebay that didn't work when I got them so you never know.

When replacing them, it's easiest to just break them out, pull them from the dash and then unplug the connector. When putting them back in, don't forget to plug the connector in before you snap the switch back into the dash. I've made that mistake several times.

98tahoe4x4

Reaction score
i tried a new headlight switch and it still does the same thing. I noticed that when you shut the door or push the over ride button in the lights dim a little but dont shut off all the way. The problem went away for a few hours but when i went out to make sure everything was ok and opened and closed the door a few times they stayed on again. do you think it could be a ground somewhere? Thanks

mygreen98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check all door switches as someone has already posted, they go bad often on these trucks.

98tahoe4x4

Reaction score
I checked all the door switches i replaced the 2doors (i have the 2door model) The only one i didnt replace was the back one for the glass but i took it out and hooked it up to my meter and it works fine.

djtecthreat

Reaction score
Do you have a tail gate or barn doors, check the switch/contacts, make sure they are clean and the switch is in working order.

diehardgm

Reaction score
I assume it has keyless entry? It could be the receiver. It turns on the domelights when you unlock the doors via the fob. I have seen issues with the receivers turning the domelamps on all the time. Find the receiver under the driver side knee bolster and unplug it. If the lights stay out, your receiver is at fault.

Tommytahoe247

Reaction score
Appreciate it. New to the tahoe family and had this issue as well. Thanks my dimmer switch was on.

Fresh24Seven

Reaction score
Just purchased a 99 Tahoe and no interior lights, driver side door jamb switch (black pin) missing, also the housing for the interior lights in front of rear heater controls on ceiling so previous owner must of had this problem, dome override also does not work... Did you come up with a solution?