It happened to me too!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fco_gonzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this has been discussed/covered here but I wanted to give it more attention.

History- On monday it rain all day and night. Tuesday morning the Temp dropped below freezing. That morning I started my hoe as usual except I used the rear defroster, the whole car was covered with frost. Wednesday morning temp also dropped below freezing. Halfway to work I notice that my rear window was not defrosted. I looked back and I saw the stupid rear defroster coil hanging. :mad: :mad: :mad: I know this has happened to some of you. I'm still pissed. I made an appiontment at the dealership but had to cancel at the last minute. plus I dont what to sit at the dealership for hours while they "super glue" it back on. :mad: :zav:

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that sucks, i wonder why using it makes it fall off. :mad3:

if you touch it while its on, does it shock you :lol: :ktoe:

fco_gonzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking the solder is overheating and causing it to fall off.

when I talked to the dealership they said they might have to replace the whole window or they might be able to - I sh!t you not, "super glue" it back on. WTF

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A lot of things are glued on such as your rearview mirror. Unfortunately GM has a long history of not using good glue...

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure how "super glue" is going to fix it since it's not conductive. Might fix it cosmetically tho but make them prove that it's working electrically which is easy to do.

Ibcheeky

Reaction score
I'm sure they will use a special electrically conductive adhesive such as the one shown at the link below.

Permatex Adhesives

Attachments

• 21351.jpg
    21351.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 166

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That stuff worked great on repairing cut grid lines on my IROC where a hack used the grid as a template for trimming tint film. I would think it would also work for unsoldered terminals. Just make sure you clean it well first.

ugachs24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This already happened on our 2008 Z71 and we just picked it up three weeks ago! We were in Atlanta on Thursday night and when I was leaving to go back to Florida I noticed the moisture wasn't burning off the rear. I had read about this so I checked and sure enough it was disconnected :cuss: . We traded in the old Tahoe so that we wouldn't have these problems, I don't have time to sit in a dealership for 4 hours to have some jackass tell me that I need a new back window :zav: .

screamin chicken

Reaction score
A lot of things are glued on such as your rearview mirror. Unfortunately GM has a long history of not using good glue...

That is so true, my 2000 WS6 and all 4th gen TA's and Camaro's T Top bar are all coming apart because the glue they used is haveing a reaction to the sun. My car has 37,xxx miles on it stays in the garage and I can say in the last 4 years I may have put 3,xxx miles on it and with the T Top bar coming apart is looks like crap.GM knows about the problem and only certain dealerships are fixing this, Way to go GM....:mad2:

fco_gonzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I gotten/read plently of good advice on how to repair it. Are there any con's in doing it my self. I too don't what to wait 4 hours to get a new window or have some jack A$$ "superglue" back on.

Hardin Thicke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine pulled off when I opened just the window part of the hatch. It wasn't during a heat cycle. They attempted to resolder it back on, but with the glass sinking all of the heat away from the joint, there was no way they were going to do it with just a solder gun. There's a new glass waiting for me and I'm taking it in Tuesday for replacement.

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I gotten/read plently of good advice on how to repair it. Are there any con's in doing it my self. I too don't what to wait 4 hours to get a new window or have some jack A$$ "superglue" back on.

The Permatex Rear Defogger repair kit should do it. It is a copper loaded adhesive.