Late Shifting Sometimes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ttcole1254

Reaction score
Hello!

I have a 2007 Chevy Tahoe LS with a strange issue.. sometimes the automatic transmission shifts late. When it does, it won't shift until sometimes 4k RPM, and normally it late shifts near 3500. Some days it will work as if nothing is wrong, and other days it'll do it all day long. Letting off the gas slightly will coax the truck to shift at the correct RPM. Fluids were all flushed and topped off at the transmission shop.

It will also "jump" sometimes during the late shift, especially when getting on the gas, or from a dead stop. No check engine light or code is generated.

Here's the weird part though. We've taken the truck to a transmission shop, and to the Chevy dealership. Both tell us the tranny is okay and that the car has no problems. So I'm wondering if there could potentially be a bad sensor or something else causing the delayed shifting. There is also a warning that comes on after driving for approximately 15 minutes. It says "Service Tire Monitor System." The warning stays on for maybe 5 minutes, and then disappears. It may come back, stay gone, never shut off in the first place, or never appear at all. Chevy said something about a "battery on the wheel" but the warning has been the same for around 6 months now. When the warning is on, while attempting to check tire pressure, one tire will read "--." The tire that does that is random. Once the warning goes away, the car shows the correct air pressure on all tires.

Like I said, on some days, it will behave like new. Others, it will never want to shift right. I just want to get it fixed before the late shifting causes other problems.

Thanks!

rockenthebowtie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you know what gear is shifting late.. first to second.. Second to third... third to fourth... there may be a shift solenoid hanging up and needs to be replaced... you also mentioned that the fluid has been serviced but did the transmission filter get changed... as far as the tpm you probably just have a tpm sensor going out

Allure Love

Reaction score
Something I was told by a trans tech once. Was that if you have a transimission that is either having problems or has never had a trans service. Its better to leave it alone. Or do a trans service and reuse some of the old fluid.
VAG Diagnostic Tools