Locking gas caps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caddis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey fellas, any place online you would recommend to find locking gas caps? With the latest trends in stealing fuel, I am going to pop one of those on to deter the temptation, not worried about punctures but siphoning off. Thanks, having a tough tiime finding them today.

Denali168

Reaction score
Just read the article about thieves puncturing the tanks. Nothing we can do about that, but I am definitely going to install locking caps also if I can find them!

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im not in to locking gas caps. here is why.

all locks do is keep the honest people honest.

if the thief really wants my gas he is gunna get it one way or another. i would rather just have to buy a tank of gas then pay to have all the damage fixed that they caused trying to get the locking gas cap off. One crow bar or a drill and bam their in plus there is damage to the vehicle it self.

just my 2 cents.

but if it buys you piece of mind, you can find them at your local auto parts shop. IE pep boys, advanced auto parts, auto zone etc. :thumbsup:

nephite1978

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im not in to locking gas caps. here is why.

all locks do is keep the honest people honest.

My cousin doesn't lock her car for the same reason. If there's something they want bad enough, they'll just break the window & take whatever it was that caught their eye. If the door's unlocked, then (hopefully) all you'll have to replace is whatever was stolen, and not the window.

I'm not sure how I feel about that, personally. That's why I don't leave anything in the open. And I lock my doors.

Trend Setta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My cousin doesn't lock her car for the same reason. If there's something they want bad enough, they'll just break the window & take whatever it was that caught their eye. If the door's unlocked, then (hopefully) all you'll have to replace is whatever was stolen, and not the window.

I'm not sure how I feel about that, personally. That's why I don't leave anything in the open. And I lock my doors.

= fail

01lt_hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have one on the hoe, I bought one for my car a few yrs back when my uncle told me someone stole $90 worth of gas from his conversion van, he had just filled up the night before, and ended up burning up his fuel pump trying to start the van the next morning, thinking he had a full tank of gas... my guess is that someone followed him from the station... I remember when I bought the cap for my car, I noticed that all the siphoning kits beside the gas caps were sold out

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i lock the truck in my driveway because there is a crazy (ok that mean, a autistic kid) in my neighborhood who climbs in to cars and F*cks stuff up. but in my garage i dont really care.

had a friend who bought a brand spankin new cadi deville in 04 locked it up, and a week later had the sunroof smashed, glass ripping the leather, and the dash. then the radio being ripped out.

he said it would have been cheaper if he left a 50 dollar bill on the front seat with the door open. :ktoe: :ktoe:

Caddis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Around these parts, if someone wants my gas and I have a locking cap, they will just move on to the next victim. Even the smallest deterrent will help, so it's not just piece of mind.

We have a neighbor kid like yours too. Kind of the Emo type, with a bit of trouble. I don't let him near my house, his Daddy left him with the grandparents (daddy's a dirtball felon) and the kid has rummaged through neighbor's cars this winter. Sneaky little bugger, I saw his prints in the snow leaving my cars and going under my eaves so as to lose his trail, only then to cross the snow at the back of my property and go straight to his house, I guess he didn't figure I would be up early enough to see the prints in the snow before they got covered.