Looking for a new/new to me hoe have some ?s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dozerboy

Reaction score
Sorry for the noob post, but I didn't find what I was looking for with a quick search. If this has been covered please post a link. What are the problems with the 4 speed trans? Any other issues addressed on the 09s. And can someone dumb down the differences in the 5.3s like flex fuel, AFM, VVT, and FXE? I know what they are I just haven't found out what years have what, what's standard, and what one/s I should want. I have no intention of ever running E85.

Also any guys running 2WD in the winter and really regret getting them?

I'm looking for a hoe 08/09 for DDing short trips, and summer vacations. Any other info you guys might have to aid me in my search would be appreciated.

Thanks

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Tahoe Forum.

I believe all of the NBS have flex fuel. The 5.3 and 6.0 have the AFM. Not aware of any big problems w/ the 4-spd tranny. Don't think they have VVT and don't know what FXE is.

I had a 2WD 2002 TrailBlazer w/ traction control and it went anywhere I needed. Didn't go off-road w/ it. 4WD weighs several hundred pounds and several $1,000. Did get my Tahoe w/ 4WD for resale.

Hope this helps.

nc6600

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Tahoe Forum.

I believe all of the NBS have flex fuel. The 5.3 and 6.0 have the AFM. Not aware of any big problems w/ the 4-spd tranny. Don't think they have VVT and don't know what FXE is.

I had a 2WD 2002 TrailBlazer w/ traction control and it went anywhere I needed. Didn't go off-road w/ it. 4WD weighs several hundred pounds and several $1,000. Did get my Tahoe w/ 4WD for resale.

Hope this helps.
The 4.8 does not have flex fuel and the 5.3L 2wd has the flex fuel engine as an option but its standard on the 4 wheel drives, the 6.0 and 6.2 are not e85 capable until '09. The 4spd is a pretty reliable tranny no probs with mine. I believe you are talking about XFE which is an option package that includes the 5.3 and 6spd which is supposed to be the most fuel efficient engine they have in a 2wd Tahoe. The XFE stand for "Extra Fuel Economy". If i were you get a used '07 LT3 or a new '08
LT3 2wd you should be able to find a good deal w/o much effort.:)

Dozerboy

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome
I just read a few post about some guys not liking the 4 speed and wasn't sure what that was about. You are right it was XFE I saw it on a 09 and doesn't the 09s come standard with the 6 speeds?

nc6600

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Dozerboy

Reaction score
Anyone have the 2nd row buckets and what do you think of them? They're real popular here, but my wife don't care for them. Partly since she won't be able to put a car seat in the center. So she can keep and eye on and reach kid/s when we have them. We've almost had a hard time finding anything above a LS with a bench with the colors she likes.

Repo503

Reaction score
Id stay away from the XFE...that was GM being desperate when gas hit $4. Not worth getting a low power stripper for and extra mpg or two in my opionion. If youre worried about mileage you are in the wrong place.

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can probably find someone w/ a bench for sale or who wants to trade. Try searching on this forum, checking the "for sale" listings, & ebay.

Yukon Joe XL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
'08 Yukon Xl
Dozerboy ,
Welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:
I have the 2nd row buckets and love them.. The reason....3 kids and it is easy to get in the 3rd row seat without moving the 2nd row, they can just walk between the buckets. With a 2nd row bench,it's either climb over (kids preferred method:lol:) or move the seat up each time. Something to think about if you need the 3rd row often. 2nd row buckets was my wifes idea....she's a little better at thinking ahead than me:ktoe:
I personally like having the E85 option.Something the Denali did not offer for '08. It was more desirable in Sept. when gas was around $4.35 here and E85 I was getting for $2.99.
As far as 4WD ,I am very happy I have that for the snow. Just put it on 4 Auto and the front only engages when the Stabilitrak tells it to (rear tire spin etc....)
I drive an '07 Tahoe for work with the 5.3 and it has plenty of power when needed but not great in the snow as it is a 2WD. No better/worse than a rear wheel drive car.
Good luck on your decision

nc6600

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have the 2nd row buckets and what do you think of them? They're real popular here, but my wife don't care for them. Partly since she won't be able to put a car seat in the center. So she can keep and eye on and reach kid/s when we have them. We've almost had a hard time finding anything above a LS with a bench with the colors she likes.
My mom has an 08 burban with the 2nd row buckets and i have a 5y/o lil sis that rides in their w/ a car seat. It works fine and i dont know about your children but my sister loves having the seats to herself instead of the bench where someone is right up next to her.