looking for speaker configuration input

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TXST8tj

Reaction score
in the not to distant future, i plan to start working on the stereo in my 03 suburban. i have the Blose setup which will all be replaced...the headunit, speakers, sub, amp, etc.
the front of course has the 'component set'. the back doors have 6.5s, and there are the tweeters in the far back rear pillars. i'm sure it is the same setup in the tahoes, so maybe you guys can lend me your thoughts.

i will be setting up a new component set for the front. i'm not going to go crazy with kick panels or anything, so the woofer end will go in the factory location in the door, and the tweeter will either go in the stock location on the pillars, or will go in the triangle space at the top of the door.
my outreach for input has to do with the rear. should i run a pair of coaxials in the rear doors and forget about the tweeters in the rear pillars, or should i run a component set - woofers in the doors and tweeters back in the rear pillars? essentially, this would have me running two component sets and no coaxial speaker sets. either way, they will be powered by a 4-channel amp.
i'm just not sure if the middle seat is going to miss out on sound effect with the tweeters a bit farther back, or if it would actually be good with them point right at those passengers.

KillerB

Reaction score
I have another solution for the whole vehicle. Check out my stuff:
www.customspeakerpods.com

It allows you to put 6.5" components in the front door, 5-1/4" in the rear door, and 5-1/4" in the D-pillar.

B

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If its necessary for passenger use. I'd go with component sets.

Use the woofer in the door and surface mount the tweeter on the B Pillar close to the floor as possible and on axis to the passengers.

This will reproduce good effects for them and not interfere with your "Front Stage" as much.

The D Pillar I wouldn't even be concerned with. Its just money wasted I think.

I thought of doing this but I'm selfish and don't care about rear fill....lol

Huck

Reaction score
I have another solution for the whole vehicle. Check out my stuff:
www.customspeakerpods.com

It allows you to put 6.5" components in the front door, 5-1/4" in the rear door, and 5-1/4" in the D-pillar.

B

No offense, but that doesn't look good. Plus, you can already put 6 1/2s in the front door.

TXST8tj

Reaction score
No offense, but that doesn't look good. Plus, you can already put 6 1/2s in the front door.

to each their own i guess. it's not something would use now (maybe a few years ago), but it is a nice looking product if that is the 'style' you're looking for. i will say the exposed mounting screws on the A pillar tweeter and D pillar 5.25" speakers takes away from the potential clean look, but the front and rear door panels look nice.
in my life, "stealth" is my style. #1 i don't want anyone to be able to see what i have (whereas a few years ago, i may have showed it off), and #2 exposed speakers, amps, etc. are just perfect targets for a flying milk bottle or sippy cup from my 14 month old son in the backseat. exposed speakers on the door panels are just asking to get kicked or otherwise damaged with small children around.

i have pretty much decided on just running a comp. set in the front and coaxials in the rear doors, and just forgetting about the D pillars all together.