Looking to buy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KillerB

Reaction score
I am hoping to buy a Tahoe, Suburban, Yukon, ect.. in the future (maybe near). I have a couple questions:
What is the best engine? (I'm a power freak)
What price/miles should I be looking for (hoping to get a private seller)?
How many miles are too many miles??
How dependable are the 4wd systems?
If not, how hard/expensive are they to repair?
And, anything else I would need to know.

I'm looking for a black one. My last three cars have been white, looking for a change. Plus I see a murdered out drop in it's future. I also have an idea for a killer sound system.

Thanks in advance,
B

ugachs24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am hoping to buy a Tahoe, Suburban, Yukon, ect.. in the future (maybe near). I have a couple questions:
What is the best engine? (I'm a power freak)
What price/miles should I be looking for (hoping to get a private seller)?
How many miles are too many miles??
How dependable are the 4wd systems?
If not, how hard/expensive are they to repair?
And, anything else I would need to know.

I'm looking for a black one. My last three cars have been white, looking for a change. Plus I see a murdered out drop in it's future. I also have an idea for a killer sound system.

Thanks in advance,
B

I have/have had 2000, 2003, 2004, 2008 model year Tahoes and a 2008 Escalade and I must say they are really good trucks.

The best engine for the 2000-2006 Tahoes is the Vortec 5.3 V8, that's what most of them are, some have the 4.8 V8, but that really hurts your towing and resale. Seems like the 5.3's pump out 295 HP, Tahoes are pretty quick for their size, of course they're no Vette.

It depends on which year you're looking for. If I were in the market for a GMT 800 I'd be looking for a 2004-2006 with under 45k miles, but price may be an issue. For the most part these are well built trucks, usually no major maintnence until well after 100k, just a few little quirks like the instrument clusters and steering shafts. I wouldn't pay over $26k or so for an OBS Tahoe, with the gas prices the way they are and a new body style being out, you can usually find a good deal.

They have pretty good 4x4 systems, I never really had any big issues with the 4x4 on the 2003 Z71. Once it wouldn't engage into 4x4 and the other time it just needed a switch replaced. That's pretty good considering I put 112k miles on it.

Heres a list of some changes made thoughout the years to these things in case you didn't already know.

2000: Body style intoduced (with the exception of the Z71 model)
2001: No major changes (Z71 model now offered in new body style)
2002: No major changes
2003: Updated interior (big improvement over previous years)
2004: New wheel options, 17'' rims now offered on LT models. Tire pressure monitor added to LT models.
2005: Minor mechanical changes, minor air dam modifications on the front end.
2006: "CHEVROLET" badge removed from real liftgate, new rear window design, instrument panel modification (gears are printed not digital).

That's about it somebody else can fill in what I missed. I put 112k on my 2003 Z71 with few problems and have 34k on my 2004 LT 2wd and have had few problems. Gas mileage is also fairly good I average like 14-15 city and 20 highway.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love my '02 Yukon XL Denali with the 6.0 AWD. The AWD handles excellent, corners like a mutha, and I don't have to worry about my wife and loss of traction. The 6.0 is a must if you have a good sized toyhauler, it hauls my 23footer great for the size of the truck, I just feel it some on the hills but don't want to imagine if my truck was the 5.3 in the same situation.

SapperRyash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a 2001 LT and i love it. i really wish the gas mileage was a bit better though. the heated seats are a great plus being up here in the northwest. i took it up to the mountains a few weeks ago didnt even need my 4WD, good thing because turning my 24s with 4WD would have been a blow to my wallet for gas. the best thing about these trucks is there are tons of mods you can do to make them a bit more unique. i bought mine last year with 50K on it and i know it has A LOT more to go.

KillerB

Reaction score
Well, right now, my Caprice gets about 12-13 city, and that's the only driving I do. I'm also looking for a business/show/haul vehicle, and I've always wanted one of these.
Is the 6.0 only available in the GMC?

B

SapperRyash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, right now, my Caprice gets about 12-13 city, and that's the only driving I do. I'm also looking for a business/show/haul vehicle, and I've always wanted one of these.
Is the 6.0 only available in the GMC?

B

as far as i know its only in the denali