Loose Steering on 01?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Caster angle also plays a part in how much effort is needed to turn the wheels. More angle increases effort while less angle makes it easier to turn the wheel. Along with toe and camber, the caster will also affect how well the vehicle tracks and the effort needed to keep it straight. I'd check with an alignment shop to make sure the alignment is in spec if you don't find anything else wrong. Your truck can still drive straight and seem like everything is ok even with an acute caster angle.

mo0n

Reaction score
sounds like the steering angle sensor at base of column has gone bad it wont set a code or anything else and its like a $47 part its a little tricky to install but most anyone can do it

sparvin

Reaction score
I can say we got new front tires last week b/c the alignment was off, got it realigned and it drives better--the wind swerve is less. Still somewhat to easy to steer, but getting new shocks soon and hope that will help some.

Rye522jw

Reaction score
Longtime reader, first time writer! My 99 Tahoe has suspension and body lift, as well as aftermarket 17' wheels, and I get bump steer and some "shimmy" when on a washboard type road. I had wrenched the torsion bars down when I put my plow on for the winter to keep the front from drooping from the weight. Now that its off I don't really want to drop the front back down by changing the bars back. I picked up a BDS Suspension Stabilizer kit and am told that should correct the issue. Anyone find them to work? Planning on putting the kit on in a week or so....any helpful hints on installation and/or adjustment?

Rick4027

Reaction score
steering

My 99 did the same thing when I got it, thats why I got it cheap, it felt like I was chasing it all over the road, mine was a worn out steering box there is an adjustment but its may or may not fix it, aftermarket box is less expensive but I had to change it soon after it was replaced, I went with a GM the second time and it is fine now, dealer told me its common on trucks and SUV's at 120-175. Good luck

at100plus

Reaction score
I've been chasing this problem for a year now.

First I checked the front end and everything is tight.

Next I had the sensor on the column under the dash replaced.

Then I started putting more tire pressure in (40 psi). My mechanic kept saying it's the tires which I found hard to believe although I did buy the truck with crappy Daytona tires, they weren't worn yet so I waited.

Last week I put new Bridgestone REVO II AT tires on in the stock size and had the alignment done.

Eh... a little better tracking, less rut seeking but still feels like the steering on an 86 Cadillac and I hate that.

Next I had my mechanic do the EVO bypass after he put it on his new scanner on my truck and saw that the EVO sensor was fluctuating mA. He thought sure this would fix it and after he did it, he was all excited and he said he thought it was better.

I don't know I feel a little improvement but it's still an 86 Cadillac. to me.

See this link for the bypass info:
http://www.pacificp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=93678#93678

according to my mechanic, you can't even replace the EVO sensor anymore GM is offering this factory bypass kit instead because the EVO had so many problems.

What's next? I'm thinking steering gearbox, or trying that Hijacker stabilizer that was suggested earlier in this thread. I'm sick of spending money and not getting results tho.

Last edited: