Loose steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bebop

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has fixed a loose steering problem? I have a 98 4x4 and there is some play in the steering wheel. It is loose between the 11 o'clock and 1 o'clock positions. It is pretty much dead between there. Once it "catches" it turns fine. It tracks perfect and there is no shuddering when I turn. I don't know if there is an adjustment I can do myself or if all the bushings need to be replaced. Any input would be great.

ZachWill23

Reaction score
I have the same problem. From what I have HEARD it's a common problem in these later year model tahoe's so I'm not concerned about it anymore.

bebop

Reaction score
Did you have it fixed or find out exactly what was causing it? It's not bad a roadway speed, but at highway speed, it can get a little hairy.

ZachWill23

Reaction score
Did you have it fixed or find out exactly what was causing it? It's not bad a roadway speed, but at highway speed, it can get a little hairy.

No I didn't get it fixed. My auto tech teacher who once worked at a local Chevrolet dealership told me not to worry about it and that's it's common. I would consider getting it check though if it's bad enough but mine isn't to bad to drop any money on. Chevelle is right though, it could be the idler arm.

Mark 97 Tahoe

Reaction score
Idler arm & pitman arm are usually the culprits. If you have someone jerk the steering wheel back & forth a couple inches & you crawl underneath, you can see the play in these two massive couplings move (1/8" or so) before the tie rods actually move the tires.

bebop

Reaction score
I found where it is loose. It is definately where the pitman arm attaches to the tie rod. There is a nut that attaches it. Is it a matter of tightening these nuts down or does the actual pitman arm need to be replaced or is there a bushing inside that coupling that can be replaced. THe only place I saw some play was where the pitman arm attaches to the tie rod.