Low brake pedal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RFJohnston

Reaction score
I remember seeing a tread here a year or so ago regarding the low brake pedal that appears to be common in older tahoe's. Ive searched for it and cant find it. I believe the answer was to replace the tahoe master cylinder with a master cylinder out of a C1500 truck.

My brakes stop fine, but I really dislike the length of pedal travel to actuate them.

Two Questions:

1. Can anyone confirm or deny the C1500 master cylinder fix? If so I assume it would be the same year as the tahoe.

2. Is the C1500 master cylinder directly compatible? That is, with the existing rod work? Same length, etc?

Thanks in advance.
:secret:

skychair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember seeing a tread here a year or so ago regarding the low brake pedal that appears to be common in older tahoe's. Ive searched for it and cant find it. I believe the answer was to replace the tahoe master cylinder with a master cylinder out of a C1500 truck.

My brakes stop fine, but I really dislike the length of pedal travel to actuate them.

Two Questions:

1. Can anyone confirm or deny the C1500 master cylinder fix? If so I assume it would be the same year as the tahoe.

2. Is the C1500 master cylinder directly compatible? That is, with the existing rod work? Same length, etc?

Thanks in advance.
:secret:

Try this.......http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=586972

Then this.....http://www.amazon.com/Cardone-Selec...rue&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_6&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Ron

RFJohnston

Reaction score

I did this upgrade this past weekend. The difference in the pedal is amazing. The master cylinder is physically shorter, so that may contribute to the improved pedal.

I did have one issue that was not covered in the above article. The weatherhead fitting adapter was an issue getting a good seal and no leak. The stock Tahoe fitting bottomed out in the adapter threads without the flare on the brakeline sealing against the fitting. I could physically giggle the brakeline in and out with the fitting so tight I was afraid I'd strip it.

Turned out that I took a die grinder and gently removed about 2 threads off of the Tahoe fitting, and it screwed in far enough to solve the fit problem and seal the line.

Overall, it worked fine and I'd recommend it if anyone wanted to do it.

Thanks again for the tips...

:peace:

sportblazer350

Reaction score
i have a 1994 k5 5.7l Blazer, same issue. I had my mechanics bleed the ABS pump and they installed a BRAND NEW master cylinder, not a rebuild. now I have firm and high brake pedal pressure, which I had not had for several years.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice, wondered why no one tried a new original one....