Low-End Torque and PCM Tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thdrill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Maybe someone here can answer a little debate I am having with myself (and doesn't that sound like I have a mental condition :smilielol: ). But I had a PCM tune done by wait4meperformance which was basically done for economy at the 87/89 octane and the addition of a True Flow SAI...and now within the next week I plan on exchanging out my stock muffler for a MagnaFlow muffler. Thus I am sending the unit back to have the adjustments made to the tune. Now the debate I am having is that although I am sure the economy tune done by Jesse is a remarkable tune I haven't seen much from it as the majority of my driving (I would say 90% or more avg) is done in start and stop local traffic (like I've said before my commute to work is 7 miles and has 8 traffic lights). So, I was wondering if in addition to having the adjustments made to accomodate the new muffler and keeping the economy tune for those infrequent highway trips if having the Torque Manager adjusted to allow for more low-end torque may help increase my fuel efficiency during my local driving, and if so about how much should adjust it. Now I know it's an SUV and I shouldn't expect to see wonders from it, but from what I've seen here people say the engine is capable of more than just the 13 mpg or so I am getting around town. In addition I am not looking to burn rubber or chirp the tires everytime I press down on the accelerator. But, any assistance the forum can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Paul

thdrill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nevermind, I called and spoke with Jesse and got the answer.

thdrill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Basically for what I got it is a very nice tune. Shifts are more firm and fuel efficiency has increased on the highway. As for the torque management his response was that he wouldn't recommend changing it as even a conservative change will ultimately affect the life of the drive train and shorten it by 20k-30k miles.