ls1 kinda excited

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chevylee

Reaction score
My old computer was on the driver side, were the air cleaner is now, well right in front of it. Yes my new PCM is on the pass side, i had extra room over there so thats where it got mounted. The only "Major" mod needed to be done was a small notch in the frame to fit the a/c compressor. It was either that or spend 350 on a a/c relocation kit and get a new compressor. It also wouldn't look factory. It really cleaned up in there from that big bulky v6 :sla:

clean95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry its taking a while for respond the im goin to have to looking to a good supercharger then im happy with Whipple i had one on my stock tbi and ran a 13.26 at the track.. im hoping to get in the 12's with the new motor swap and im not doing the swap gm performance is and there making a wire harness and im gunna try to get it refereed or whatever before i supercharge is and hope it passes so it will be legit and ya sac raceway this summer i will be out there i was there last summer to, I'll get some pics up as soon as the swap is done and let u all know how it does..

Whippled2dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry its taking a while for respond the im goin to have to looking to a good supercharger then im happy with Whipple i had one on my stock tbi and ran a 13.26 at the track.. im hoping to get in the 12's with the new motor swap and im not doing the swap gm performance is and there making a wire harness and im gunna try to get it refereed or whatever before i supercharge is and hope it passes so it will be legit and ya sac raceway this summer i will be out there i was there last summer to, I'll get some pics up as soon as the swap is done and let u all know how it does..

Sweet man. Looking forward to seeing that thing in action. It shouldn't have a problem getting refereed with just the engine swap as long as you retain all of the smog stuff for that specific engine. I just don't know what they think about adding a supercharger later but I don't think it will be a problem.

Also was the 13.26 in the 95 2dr tahoe in your avatar pic. If it was that pretty quick for a whippled stock TBI in a heavy ass truck. What else did you have done to it. I've only managed a 14.15 in my 99 2dr at sac on a warm day.

I'll let you know if we have a meet at sac again. We usually go on a sat for test and tune because there are less people and you can usually get in 10 or so runs.

clean95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweet man. Looking forward to seeing that thing in action. It shouldn't have a problem getting refereed with just the engine swap as long as you retain all of the smog stuff for that specific engine. I just don't know what they think about adding a supercharger later but I don't think it will be a problem.

Also was the 13.26 in the 95 2dr tahoe in your avatar pic. If it was that pretty quick for a whippled stock TBI in a heavy ass truck. What else did you have done to it. I've only managed a 14.15 in my 99 2dr at sac on a warm day.

I'll let you know if we have a meet at sac again. We usually go on a sat for test and tune because there are less people and you can usually get in 10 or so runs.

it was supercharged with cams pistons pretty much built internals and then i had a hypertech computer for it, few other things ran it on a cool night it took a lot of work to get that number and ya it was the 95 hoe in the pic... cant wait to see what this ls1 will do! oh it was 13.26 at like 125mph i believe

chevylee

Reaction score
it was supercharged with cams pistons pretty much built internals and then i had a hypertech computer for it, few other things ran it on a cool night it took a lot of work to get that number and ya it was the 95 hoe in the pic... cant wait to see what this ls1 will do! oh it was 13.26 at like 125mph i believe

125 MPH? wow. Thats fast as heck.. are you sure it was 125? that high of a mph is 11s. or 10s

Whippled2dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you 2wd or 4wd? Also I read in a previous post you had nitrous too. What made you decide to switch over to an LS engine? It seems like you had a pretty nice setup already.

Also thats a pretty high trap speed. One of the guys I go to sac with in a '05 ex-cab dyno's 566hp/613tq and ran [email protected]. Another '01 ex-cab with 545rwhp/564rwtq ran 12.18@113. A 125mph trap speed would put you in the 10's or 11's.

General Stalin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless your truck is geared wayyyy funky and crawls at lower rpms, then picks up like a top fuel car at like 4 grand hahaha.

chevylee

Reaction score
Lol, jeez so that was with nitrous?

Like I said, that speed trap is amazing. good job on that old set up.

clean95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks! im keeping my old set up for wounder full cali smog! ugh... i went with the ls1 because it was fairly cheap and im gunna build the hell out of it and hope to get 10's and ya i need new gears i have nitrous and a supercharger 125shot to be exact. i have a really slow launch till about 2-2500 rpm then im gone weird.... so idk see what happens if all else fails or i dont get what i want out of it then its gm performance 572! :lol: i want a 10second tahoe that would be awsome but like i said smog kills that hight hope!

Whippled2dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What trans are you running and whats the stall speed of your converter? With all that power you should get a built 4L80E if you don't have one already.

clean95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What trans are you running and whats the stall speed of your converter? With all that power you should get a built 4L80E if you don't have one already.

well i still have some parts to order but i did order a 4l80e with a shift kit, corvette servos stronger bands and better clutch packs and a new computer for it for better stronger kinda harder shifts. blah blah blah the tranny shop said it will withstand 1000hp so im happy with that as for the converter, altho im not to good with those low stall speed hight stall speed... idk whatever hopefully tomorrow he will fill me in on them and give me some incite so im ordering that tomorrow (sat) im goin to the shop to see how things are commen along they fired the ls1 for me yesterday on a engine dyno and i got to hear is and see the stats and let me tell u it gunna be loud! and badass... cant wait they also already have the old motor and trans out if i pass reffered with the new motor i mite be selling my old stocky with cams lifters after market computer for it intake and long tube headers forged pistons and its bored 10 over only thing that is bad is that the tranny just went out! LAME

General Stalin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah... if you build a fullsize SUV that does 10's in the quarter mile, I don't see it being street legal anymore so I wouldn't worry about it passing emissions or any kind of inspection.

chevylee

Reaction score
10s is a roll cage at the track :10s: haha

You will probably need to run 14+ pounds of boost, gut the inside of the tahoe, roll cage it, put in a race seat and a 200 shot of Nitrous. The motor will probably need to be running around 550 hp, with out the spray. To get a TBSS in the 11's it took a 100 shot, big cam, high flow heads, tune an full exhaust and slicks. His speed trap was only 118 mph.

clean95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya its going to have a GRIP of power and im not going to gut im still going to use the truck for what its made for towing snow a little fun in the mud and a daily driver..... im just hoping to run a good time, so i cam make all the little honda civics mad when they get SMOKED by a 6thousand pound tahoe with the a/c on towing a jet ski! LMAO im headed up to the shop now i'll let u all kno whats up with the new parts and what not!

Whippled2dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PICS please!!! I want to see this monster. Let me know what days you are heading over to sac raceway when its done.

clean95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PICS please!!! I want to see this monster. Let me know what days you are heading over to sac raceway when its done.

yes pics are gunna be up soon! i took some today and they havent got the motor in or tranny they are making new mounts and refabercating some engine compartment areas... soon it will be done tranny is still being built and i need a converter still. and new tranny lines and a bigger tranny and oil cooler shes comment together the motor is bored out to a 386 also btw and im leaving it a 4x4 ive heard u can get a better launch in 4x4hi but idk about that,..... hopefully mid next week assuming i get all my parts it will be done!

ps. the machine shop said i can run the engine hard until 1500 miles then change the oil then she's good! so the race way prolly wont be untill mid-late summer... btw

Whippled2dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You shouldn't have a problem launching in 4wd hi. A bunch of guys do it with 500+ rwhp. I launch in 4wd hi all the time with no issues.

95TwinTT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A word of caution. Be certain that your rear axle is secured with some kind of traction bar arrangement, to prevent wheel hop.

The last thing in the world you want, is to have the rear axle, have an argument with the front axle, while at full throttle.

The front axle being tied down in the frame is secure, but the rear axle is not. The front differential’s, are said to be the weak link when exposed to 2 or 3 times the stock horsepower. :)