LTZ front shock replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Silverlx

Reaction score
Ok I've read tons and threads here and on other forums but I really can’t find a clear answer just yet. I have an 2007 4WD LTZ with the auto leveling suspension and replaced the rear shocks recently with Arnott reman units that use the auto dampening and auto leveling feature so I have no error code.

Now I want to replace the front shocks with Bilsteins.

1. Are the front shocks only auto dampening and NOT leveling, no air lines correct?

2. Which Bilstein HD shocks will replace these front shocks (I plan on adding resistors)

3. When adding resistors, do I solder them in inline with the harness that comes from the truck and plugs into the shock (since the shock doesn’t have a connection port for the auto dampening system)

I know this has been covered somewhere I just can’t find all these answers. Thanks in advance, I know some of this may be self explanatory.

clkelley

Reaction score
Welcome to the neighborhood!

Right, no air lines. For the RIGHT auto dampening replacement shocks from bilstein check the link below and see if that works for you... If not, check the second link, and let me know if I can help with a quote on them.

http://www.transamericanwholesale.com/CustomerView.aspx?partNo=BIL25-177893

These are the standard shocks from Bilstein that you would put on that truck if it didn't have autoride.
http://www.transamericanwholesale.com/CustomerView.aspx?partNo=BIL24-186933

Silverlx

Reaction score
Part Number

Im having trouble using the site linked here.

Does anyone have part numbers for Bilstein 5100 for the front on an 07 Tahoe WITH Autoride? (not the ones from Arnott, they seem over priced just because they override the warning light instead of installing resistors). For some reason I cant find these shocks that say they fit an LTZ model equipped with Autoride.

clkelley

Reaction score
The factory replacement Bilstein information is pasted below. I apologize about the links not working, you are suppose to be able to see the listing without having to log in. Anyway. The information for the stock replacements for trucks WITH the Autoride is below. But the shipped price from me is $185.

Bilstein's 5160 Series Reservoir Shocks are designed to easily install in the stock shock mounting location on pickups and SUVs, with no cutting or welding required. They utilize Bilstein's industry leading mono tube design for the ultimate in performance off-road and on. Other features include: Unique digressive valving system instantly produces full damping capability, Remote reservoir dramatically increases shock oil capacity for even greater heat dissipation and damping sensitivity, Reservoir mounting configuration designed specifically for each vehicle application, For increased wheel travel and more shaft movement, the “floating” dividing piston is located in the reservoir, Bilstein’s exclusive Triple-C Technology® finish provides easy care and lasting great looks, Includes reservoir mounting kit and detailed instructions.

Bilstein 5160 Series Reservoir Shock Absorber
Part Number: 25-177893

Bilstein 5160 Series Shock Absorber
Collapsed Length (IN): 14.82
Extended Length (IN): 24.43
Travel Length (IN): 9.61
Lower Mount: Eye 14.4mm
Upper Mount: Eye 14.4mm
Shaft Diameter: 14mm
Reservoir: Yes
Finish: Zinc plated
Body Design: 46mm ID smooth body (Non-coilover)
Internal Design: Mono tubeBoot
Included: NoMounting
Parts Included: Reservoir mount kit

Silverlx

Reaction score
So is there a shock that doesn’t require the extra reservoir?

clkelley

Reaction score
Yes. It is a ride height adjustable 5100 Series Bilstein. They allow for raising the front end but you can run them with stock front end height.

Bilstein 5100 Series Ride Height Adjustable Shock Absorber Shipped Price $110

Bilstein's 5100 Series Ride Height Adjustable Shocks are Zinc-plated shocks that install like factory replacement shocks and are designed to correct the factory nose-down rake, allowing for the use of larger wheels and tires. The OEM spring seat is repositioned to provide more preload to the factory spring. The result is a level front to rear ride height. Features include: Monotube gas pressure construction, Extremely affordable, Snap ring grooves on shock body provide up to 2.75" of front end lift (depending on application), More practical than strut extension or spring pre-load spacer kits, Offers increased wheel travel while accommodating a 33" tire, Application specific design available for many popular light trucks and SUVs.

Part Number: 24-186940
Bilstein 5100 Series Ride Height Adjustable Shock Absorber
Collapsed Length (IN): 12.95
Extended Length (IN): 18.48
Travel Length (IN): 5.53
Lower Mount: Bar pin
Upper Mount: Stem
Shaft Diameter: 14mm
Reservoir: No
Finish: Zinc plated
Body Design: 46mm ID snap ring grooved body (Coilover)
Internal Design: Mono tube
Boot Included: No

Silverlx

Reaction score
OK do you have a part number and link for the 5100 with autoride (FRONT ONLY)?

Last edited:

clkelley

Reaction score
There isn't a 5100 series for trucks with Autoride. You are asking for something that isn't made. The shocks listed above are the best "Fit" for what you want to do. The first is the direct replacement units to maintain the auto dampening and the second are for replacing them without the auto dampening. This is why you are having so much trouble finding basic 5100 series shocks for your application.

As for links, the best I will do for that is suggest taking the part numbers above and use google to find other sources as I am a paying vendor here and honestly do not want to provide a bunch of links to others' online stores. I am in the middle of making changes to my online store to accommodate better store functionality, etc. As such I do not have the shocks listed in my store. The links I attempted to provide were suppose to be viewable by you without logging in, but are provided by my wholesale distributor.

Silverlx

Reaction score
Ok I'm sorry I'm such a PITA. I didn't explain myself clearly, I want the Bilstein front strut/shock that will fit an 07 LTZ. Id like to put resistors in so I no longer use the auto dampening function. I'm guess the Bilstein 5100 will fit it will just throw an error code if I don't splice in resistors right? (when I look at the 5100 for an 07 Taboe it says for the rear which is throwing me off, Im assuming from you response that they will fit the front they just don't use the auto dampening feature)

Also I don't want any drop or lift...

clkelley

Reaction score
Your not being a PITA, you're just not understanding what I am saying. When you are looking up the 5100 series for the rear, the reason they are not showing for the front is because they don't have the standard 5100 series for the front that I can find. The second set that I quoted are for replacing the shocks on trucks without auto ride. They are ABLE to be used when raising the front end, but they are also for stock height trucks as well...

jordan337

Reaction score
2011 Tahoe Lt

Just wanted to
Share. I have a 2011 Chevy Tahoe Lt. With standard suspension. I ordered bilstein hd shocks. The rears go right on. I found out the fronts u still have to use the oem gm struts and coil assembly. So the bilstein shock absorbers for front need compressed ( or whatever correct term is )in to the stock suspension assembly in front . I guess they use some sort of machine or something to put them in. But I was told from bilstein to stay with stock assembly since there tested and manufactured specifically for
Those struts and coils . If that front assembly is worn out u would have to order new gm components to go with your bilsteins. Don't attempt to do aftermarket on front
With bilstein shocks. You have to use oem with them.

jordan337

Reaction score
2011 tahoe

I mean don't use aftermarket bolt on front suspension assembly with your bilsteins. You the oem suspension components with your bilstein shock absorbers

jordan337

Reaction score
2011 tahoe

Also
Should mention my Tahoe is stock
Height I ordered the 4600 series hd shocks. Blue and yellow ones