Mileage on a full tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

X5GEE

Reaction score
I'm taking consideration into buying a 2007' Tahoe LT soon. I currently have a Nissan Titan SE and the gas on it is terrible; plus I need more interior room. I get maybe around 340 on a full tank. I'm sure the new Tahoe aren't drastically better, but I know it has the 'Active Fuel Management'. Is 400 miles on a full tank possible? Any info would be great.

thanks ..

ugachs24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm taking consideration into buying a 2007' Tahoe LT soon. I currently have a Nissan Titan SE and the gas on it is terrible; plus I need more interior room. I get maybe around 340 on a full tank. I'm sure the new Tahoe aren't drastically better, but I know it has the 'Active Fuel Management'. Is 400 miles on a full tank possible? Any info would be great.

thanks ..

They're really no better on gas than the old body style Tahoes were. That's not saying that they're bad on gas, but the Active Fuel Management isn't a big help. None of my trucks are modded at all--I get 13 city/20 highway on my 2004 LT (36k miles) and 14/18-19 in the 2008 Z71. Both have the 3.42 gears (look for that if towing is not a big concern). I had a 2003 Z71 with 3.73's and it just got 13/16 on a good day. The towing difference between them is minimal, seems like 800lbs.

400 a tank is definitely possible. I do about 90% highway driving, sometimes do 1200 miles a week, and usually get about 410. Now most people don't do as much highway driving as I do, but 375 is reasonable with a mix.

X5GEE

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. The only thing I would tow is my ATV, and thats once or twice a month. I would say I do about 80% highway driving. Now I'm wondering if the Hybrid is worth to get .... but $55k for an extra few mpg's doesn't seem to justify.

solidgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. The only thing I would tow is my ATV, and thats once or twice a month. I would say I do about 80% highway driving. Now I'm wondering if the Hybrid is worth to get .... but $55k for an extra few mpg's doesn't seem to justify.

The price tag of the Hybrid does not offset the fuel cost. In fact, the price tag added on to me was worth 6-7 years worth of fuel cost as I do not drive much (~9000mi/year). It is more for environmental reasons that you would buy a hybrid Tahoe at this time as well as possible tax incentives in some states.

I averaged 17mpg driving ~77mph on my trip from Texas to Minnesota. But I was accelerating recklessly as well....which isn't too bad.

Depending on where you live, Flex Fuel option may save you some dough. Average gas price where I live is around $3.79 right now, but E85 is always been $0.60 lower.....so after asking around and doing some number crunching, I realized that as long as it is ~$0.50 less than regular gas, it saves me some money.....just note that E85 has average rating of 11/15mpg.

06Evolved

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It also depends on the terrain that you are driving over as well...

aaron72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I go to fill up, I'm typically putting in about 19 gallons and in between fill ups I typically go about 360 miles.

X5GEE

Reaction score
The price tag of the Hybrid does not offset the fuel cost. In fact, the price tag added on to me was worth 6-7 years worth of fuel cost as I do not drive much (~9000mi/year).

Thats right ... I didn't think to put that in my last post. I put on about 20-25,000 miles in a year. So if I decided for a Hybrid, trade in my truck and maybe get $20k for it, add on a $35k loan. Right there in gas to make up would take at least over 8-9 years. It's sad how expensive Hybrids are.

solidgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats right ... I didn't think to put that in my last post. I put on about 20-25,000 miles in a year. So if I decided for a Hybrid, trade in my truck and maybe get $20k for it, add on a $35k loan. Right there in gas to make up would take at least over 8-9 years. It's sad how expensive Hybrids are.

I just saw a segment on MSNBC.com TV about Hybrids and how dealers are charging more for Hybrids now as well. They didn't include Tahoe, but Highlander Hybrid had 11 years to make up for the cost of fuel for average drivers (which I assume is 15000mi/yr drivers).

Prius has 3.5 years as comparison.

solidgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try this MPG calculator to see how bad it is

http://www.sierraclub.org/mpg/

I just used it and I will be spending about $3000/yr on gas. which means about 6.6 yrs of gas difference just for the cost of Hybrid Tahoe which only saves gas in certain conditions as the electric motor kicks in.

X5GEE

Reaction score
Try this MPG calculator to see how bad it is

http://www.sierraclub.org/mpg/

I just used it and I will be spending about $3000/yr on gas. which means about 6.6 yrs of gas difference just for the cost of Hybrid Tahoe which only saves gas in certain conditions as the electric motor kicks in.

I just did it ... for a Nissan Titan 4wd, 20k miles a year at $3.99 regular gas ...

Gas in a year $5,320.00

Over your car's lifetime (12 years on average), you'd save $17,676!

08 Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
400 miles is possible, if you drive conservitively. After I fill-up the computer tells me sometimes, that I can go 450. I just always keep filling-up when I get slightly below a half tank, so I don't spend so much at one time.

S.V.T.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
city driving in missouri maybe gets me over 300.

08 Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has the 5.3 Flex Fuel, 3.42 Posi Rear, 2-wheel drive, and only 17 inch Wheels & tires.