MPGs on long road trips

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

70Delta

Reaction score
I have a 2000 Tahoe 4x4 with the 5.3L. I am planning a long raodtrip within the next month and am wondering what the best way to save on gas is. I've been told that using midgrade fuel can actually save money on fillups because it burns more efficently but I am skeptical. Clearly checking tire pressure is on my list but I am looking for any other semi-simple ways to make this trip more dollar friendly. Thanks all!

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Standard fuel is best unless you have it tuned for premium. Bump up the tire pressures and don't carry anything you don't need.

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How's your air filter? I would think a clean air filter couldn't hurt. I've heard what Boost is talking about, that running the air pressure a little high will help mpg a little but I've also heard the trade off will be ride and maybe handling. I have a 2000 4x4 5.3 as well. I did a little math, this is just estimation, but for my ride, if the 91 grade was 20 cents more per gallon than the 85 it was pretty much a break even point. Assuming a 1 mpg increase, which is what I was told to expect, my price per mile was about the same for the 85 as the 91, so, if the 95 was less than 20 cents more than the 85 it would be cheaper, if the 91 is more than 20 cents per gallon than the 85 it would cost more, hope that made sense. I think the real secret is driving habits, stuff we already know, consistant speeds, lighter foot, etc. I don't think anbody will argue that 55 will get you better mpg than 75 but who can stand to drive 55? I took off my roof rack cross bars, more for appearance than anything else although I suppose it might reduce the wind resistance a fraction and give me 1/100 of a mpg increase, who knows.

Good luck

rockman20

Reaction score
Slow it down. This is the biggest improvement in mileage. Keep it around 60 or 65 and you will see your best gains.

Do not mix octane ratings. Stick with one rating. Let's say you fill up your tank with 87 octane and head on out. Next stop the 91 octane is cheaper so you think, what the heck. Well now you take off again. Now your computer is in the process of adjusting to the higher octane. It needs to adjust fuel flow and tweak throughout the drive. Now you stop and 87 is cheaper. Now the computer is busy again changing and adjusting.

I have even found that if you can stick to the same "brand" of gas you are better off. I get better mileage off from Super America's then what I can with Petro Serve USA fuel. Just something I have noticed in my travels.

Over inflating tires may lead to small gains, but is unsafe. Not only do you run the risk of improper tire wear resulting in early tire replacement, but you also run the risk of tire blow outs. Same with underinflating. Keep them at the recommended pressure and you will be fine.

Clean filters, fresh oil, check all of your fluids, give the engine a quick look over for any signs of trouble areas (belts and hoses that may burst or break when you are in the middle of nowhere) and I have also found if driving in hills, keep the cruise off. I am able to feather the throttle and speed up a little before a hill and keep it in OD instead of letting the truck kick out of OD and back in and I can save some fuel that way as well.

And have a safe trip!

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont know if I saw it on here somewhere, but I thought it was a good idea. Try driving with your RPMs. Keep them low instead of flooring it to acclerate. I think it would help alot. Last long trip I did. I was heavy on the peddal and wanted to maintain a certain speed. Got a little under 13mpg. If I would have driven more conservative it would most likey have been better

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, slow it down.... i went on a road trip to Sacramento from phonix and got terrible milage because i was doing between 80 and 90 the whole trip

Boost mentioned bumping up the tire pressure... which works because i now run 40psi in my tires at all times these days and have since gas was $4 a gallon, have not noticed any uneven or poor tread wear, bumping up an extra 5lbs isnt going to wreck your tires... at least i dont think so, i suppose im no expert