Mystery engine cut off issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

palirwin

Reaction score
Okay guys - here we go.

Vehicle: '01 Tahoe 4wd 5.3l 179,000 miles

Problem: Driving down the road, let off the gas to stop or make a turn, the engine dies. Sometimes starts right back up, sometimes won't start right back up. Sometimes if I let it sit it starts back up. Sometimes I can go for miles and miles and no problem. Today I didn't make it around the block.

Already done:
Replace Fuel filter first - no obvious issues there, same problem.
Checked fuel pressure - 52 lbs not running, 46 running.
Replaced Fuel Pressure Regulator - no obvious issues there, same problem.
Checked fuel pressure - 52 lbs. not running, 46 running.
Replaced Fuel Pump - no obvious issues there, same problem, if not worse.
Checked fuel pressure - 55 lbs not running, 48 running.

No CEL, no codes, no luck.

Any ideas? I am about to see what 40 lbs of Tannerite can do to a Chevy Tahoe!

palirwin

Reaction score
I forgot to add - the fuel pump that I replaced was actually the 3rd fuel pump this truck has had, and it was only about 2 years and 18k miles old. I didn't think it was the problem, but I couldn't find anything else wrong.

I am concerned there is a busted head gasket, or the dreaded crack in the head. I changed the oil recently, and there was no obvious moisture in the oil, but there was a little bit of the foamy stuff under the oil filler cap. I figured it was worth watching, but it looked like so little that I thought maybe it was something strange or a one time thing. I only use Mobile 1 Synthetic by the way, in case that matters for some reason.

Tz1G

Reaction score
Hey palirwin,

My buddy just had this problem in his 01 silverado. Check the battery and connections. His was stripped causing a bad connection. His symptoms were exactly what you have explained. Hope this helps.

palirwin

Reaction score
Well guys, it turns out it was the Crank Position Sensor. I was short on time, and finally took it to a service station. I made the idiotic mistake of having them go ahead and replace the plugs and wires while there. It is 13 years old, with 180k miles, and I never replaced the plugs, and boy did they rape me!

Anyway, the sensor isn't hard to get to, but getting the starter out of the way was a challenge because of the other stuff in the way on my 4wd Tahoe. They charged me $110 labor, kind of steep, but not too bad I guess. They charged me $100 for the part (Ouch!) when I can get it on Rock auto for $50 or so.

Plugs, $100, Wires, I don't recall, but what really pisses me off was they charged me $95 labor for the plugs, and ANOTHER $95 for the wires. I just sent them a message about the labor on the wires, maybe they will cut me some slack there. I mean, how hard is it to replace wires when you are already replacing the plugs anyway? Good grief.

Anyway, long story, but the bottom line is that it was the sensor that needed replacement in case someone has similar issues. Best of luck to you!

Donut Slayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad you found the problem. BTW, did the shop at least give you a kiss after the labor charge for both plugs and wires? I'd complain about that one.

palirwin

Reaction score
I stopped by the shop the day after bringing the truck home and talked with the owner and he immediately gave me a full rebate on the labor for the plug wires. As I figured, it was a lady in the office just pulling labor time from a book and plugging it in based on what the ticket said he did. They are good people, and I believe they were being straight, plus he didn't flinch and had her cut me a check right away. So, it's all good!