Need help figuring out fuel tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joeyrukkus

Reaction score
Hi guy first post.

Just bought a nice 96 tahoe to get my around in the winter. Its in decent shape but filled it up with gas for the first time and it seems there is a leak high on the tank somewhere. I haven't gotten a chance to take a look at where yet but I'm looking at fuel tanks online to see how much it would be to replace and the fuel tanks returned don't look anything like mine. They look more like a small box shape, mine looks like a longer box. More like the one here:

http://www.partsgeek.com/pk2xplp-chevrolet-k1500-fuel-tank.html

The tahoe already has a bunch of customizations so it wouldn't surprise me that it's fitted with a bigger tank from another model or something. Anyone have a clue? I can get pics when it's light out tomorrow.

keek007

Reaction score
I know some suburban tanks can be fit into some Model years of tahoe. I don't know much about the years commonly used but I'm thinking of adding a second tank where the spare tire hangs under my 99 4 door.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Parts geek one looks about right.... IIRC companies like JC Whitney sell aftermarket tanks, and IIRC they are squared off more so to fit up to 40 gallons or so.....