Need help with my 2008 4x4 tahoe..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dirtiest Hoe I Know

Reaction score
2008 tahoe ls

i try to put it in 4x4 but it does not engage...

i can hear the transfer case switch, but then if i hold the brakes and try to spin the tires you can hear the front differential not engaging/ grinding.

yes, i know the grinding is bad.. and not to do it..

any ideas what my problem could be?

has anyone had a problem similar to mine?

1323027028.png

TahoeJo

Reaction score
Hey man,
It sounds like there's something seriously F@CKED with your front diff. Have you drained the front diff to inspect the fluid for metal shavings/chunks? It should still be under warranty, but they might try to deny it since you have a lift kit and bigger tires which will put more strain on the front diff. What kind of lift kit do you have in that thing? It looks sick!

Dirtiest Hoe I Know

Reaction score
The funny thing is.. I lifted it after the differential was already fcked.
The car has over 100k miles so idk about a warranty being issued

Is there even a drain plug on the front differential?
I haven't been in the mood to drop the differential and take it apart after putting 20+ hours into lifting it.

Maybe after Christmas

The truck/Tahoe looks better now with the air ride shocks, levels it out more than in the picture.

TahoeJo

Reaction score
Yes there is a drain plug on the front diff, I think it's a 13mm... You'll have to remove the front skid plate to access it. The skid plate has 4 15mm bolts. GM will sometimes grant you what's called "goodwill warranty", which is whn it's past the normal warranty period. Basically it's to keep you as a satisfied customer. Since you did the lift yourself i doubt you get much work done at the dealership? The dealership I work at grants goodwill all the time... you might have to bitch a couple times, and if the service advisor says no, ask for the service manager. Doesn't hurt to ask especially if it's gonna save you some major coin. Good luck!