Need some advice.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

metro273

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in a snowy city (Chicago) and I plan on buying a pre-owned Tahoe LTZ some time next year. For those of you that live in a snowy climate, is 4x4 REALLY needed?

I'm undecided on what to buy, especially when price is gonna be a factor.

Help me out and decide...thanks guys!!!

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't live in one so I don't really qualify, but I have a feeling you're going to wish you had one. Personally, I'd rather have an LT3 4x4 than an LTZ 4x2 (which I do, but only because I wanted a Z71), but I have a thing for 4X's. I could say that you live in a flat area, so that would help. Also, I think being 4x4 helps it retain some value... But it's a great feeling to turn on the front axle and watch it pull.

InTruckDesign

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup you'll be kicking yourself after the first storm. Usually just run mine in auto on the snow/ice covered roads..if I travel the backcountry roads and know I will be on them for awhile I'll switch to 4-Hi.

Rich2007Z71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree - worth the money for me - peace of mind too. I like the "Crook" county location - me too but far SW suburb of Chicago. Had a 97 befterore and the 07 Z71 is so much better. Liked the Z71 ride and looks better than the LTZ. That's all you see is LS and LTZ - Z71s around here are rare. Just my .02 cents. GL with your purchase,

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In Philly here, and I'm always glad to have 4WD. You're going to be moving a lot of weight through the snow, so it's good to have it planted as well as possible.

I can't see buying a Tahoe, knowing that you're going to be driving in snow often, and not having 4WD. It just doesn't make sense.

/< / /2 /<

DownTownDru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in a snowy city (Chicago) and I plan on buying a pre-owned Tahoe LTZ some time next year. For those of you that live in a snowy climate, is 4x4 REALLY needed?

I'm undecided on what to buy, especially when price is gonna be a factor.

Help me out and decide...thanks guys!!!

Hey,

I live downstate in Bloomington with a 2007 2wd LT3. With the locking rear diff and traction control, I have never been in a situation that needed 4wd. And you know we get our fair shake of snow down here as well. No problems at all even with 10" on the ground and essentially the entire town shut down.

These guys saying you need a 4x4... whatever... if you get yourself off the road into a snow bank, maybe. Even on unplowed roads or untreated ice I have been fine.

DTD

metro273

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys are very helpful. I guess my answer has been answered...4x4 it is!
I just figure I'd ask cause since the Tahoe is heavy that it would "stick" to the snowy ground just fine. I should know better, especially living here in Chicago! Thanks guys...:D

chadwick02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys are very helpful. I guess my answer has been answered...4x4 it is!
I just figure I'd ask cause since the Tahoe is heavy that it would "stick" to the snowy ground just fine. I should know better, especially living here in Chicago! Thanks guys...:D

The tahoe may be heavy, but the rear end sure aint, and thats where the drive wheels are. If you put a few hundred pounds back there, OR if it were front wheel drive, that would be a different story.

metro273

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree - worth the money for me - peace of mind too. I like the "Crook" county location - me too but far SW suburb of Chicago. Had a 97 befterore and the 07 Z71 is so much better. Liked the Z71 ride and looks better than the LTZ. That's all you see is LS and LTZ - Z71s around here are rare. Just my .02 cents. GL with your purchase,
Good to hear from someone local...:yesnod:
I really LOVE the look of the LTZ but I will be buying some cheap steel wheels for winter driving cause you know how much road salt they put down out here...:cryin: