New Sub in 2004 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

04Z71FL

Reaction score
I have the Bose system which sounds good but is lacking in bass. The front sub is not enough for me; I searched this forum and got the idea to install a 2002 rear Bose sub box in the rear factory location. Searched for a box and found a factory box and sub from a 2002 on eBay. After the box was installed I found the Bose sub was blown, which gave me the excuse I needed to install an 8" JL Audio sub instead. The performance is perfect to complement the factory system. I am very please with the amount of bass one 8" is providing and will not be looking to upgrade any of the system until the head unit goes. I did also install a lot of Stinger sound deadening material in the rear of the vehicle and front doors and floors.

Here are some pics of the install. Not sure how to put the text between the pics. First pic is in progress, second pic shows the level controller just to the left of the airlift controlls (allows you to control the rear bass without using the head unit and impacting the other speakers), the last two are the vehicle back together.

Attachments

• IMG_0149.jpg
    IMG_0149.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_0152.jpg
    IMG_0152.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0161.jpg
    IMG_0161.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0162.jpg
    IMG_0162.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 55

04Z71FL

Reaction score
It's a factory box from a 2002 which is an 8". I cut out the plastic circle where it was made to look like it grill and installed the metal grill.

tom q

Reaction score
how did you remove the panel? I'm too scared to break some clips. I've been thinking of doing the same thins. What are the dimensions of the box?

04Z71FL

Reaction score
To remove the panel you also need to remove the rear speaker panel and the pillar panel to the right (need to remove a bolt that is through both panels). To remove the panel in the 2004 there is the screw for the cargo net, a plastic push tab and then you pull the panel straight out. Do not pull on an angle or you will damage the tabs. I think there are other posts which provide better instructions.

no_rice

Reaction score
so does that factory rear sub set up have a built in amp or is it running off of the same amp that runs your front one? or did you hook up an after market amp to run it?

im thinking about putting some bigger subs in mine, but wouldnt mind having that extra 8 inch one for when i need the room and have to pull the big box out. ofcourse i would probably still have the front factory and the rear added factory one running all the time along with the 12's or whatever i put in anyway.

what did that factory rear box run you?

oomindwarpoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahhh thats so sick!!!! I have the bose but I dont think i have that extra sub, cuz mine has a plastic circle over where ur sub is.

WhiteHoeZ71

Reaction score
I'm so jealous! I've been looking for a box on ebay for awhile and have never seen one like that. If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost with shipping? How does it sound way back there? And finally, any idea how much internal air space the enclosure has?

Thanks for posting the pics, It looks freaking sweet!!

04Z71FL

Reaction score
Response to no_rice:
I am running the sub with an after market amp. I am sure you could run it with a factory amp but I already had one so I did not look for a factory one. I did tap into the front sub to get the signal to run the rear amp. I am trying to recall the cost of the box, it actually sat in my garage for a year before I put it in. I think it was around 50-60 on ebay shipped. The local stereo shop quoted 100-150 to make one that would fit in the same location behind the panel. I chose to get the factory box.

oomindwarpoo:
I have an 04 with the sub in the front so I had the same plastic plate. I cut that out and glued the new JL Grill to the panel.

whitehoez71:
It sounds good in the back and the JL performance is tight and provides a good amount of bass for an 8". It sounds good and balances the system with the sub in front and back. The box is small I would say it is less the 1 cu ft but not sure how much less.