New wheels - do I need TPS sensors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chadwick02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick question – when I get my new tahoe, if I were to put different rims on it (like the 20†LTZ rims that is talked about in the other thread), do I need tire pressure monitors for the new wheels? Are they easy to take off the old rims and put on the new ones? I am thinking about using the 20†wheels during the summer, and switching over to the stock rims for the winter. Should I just buy an extra set of TP sensors and make sure each set of wheels has them? Or can I just change them over when I change the wheels over each year?

Thanks,
Chad

gmcul8r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can use your old sensors, but the vehicle will need to be "reflashed" to adjust for the change. My dealer did it for free.

chadwick02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I checked the seller of the wheels in question, and he said they DO come with the TPS sensors. I tried to do a search here and couldn't find much info, other than I have to get the vehicle re-programed by the dealer. Why does the dealer have to reprogram it? If I have 2 sets of wheels (summer and winter) and a set of TP sensors in each set of wheels, do I have to have the computer in the tahoe re-calibrated every time I swap wheels? Or will it somehow recognize the different TP sensors on the different rims and re-calibrate after the initial programming? I would like to get some real aggressive winter tires as we have a mountain house that I would like to visit fairly often during the winter. I might even try towing the snowmobile trailer up there on a good day. I'm trying to see if it makes sense to put the snows on the stock rims so I can easily swap rims during the winter, or if I'm going to have to see the dealer every year when I do?

Thanks,
Chad

preston

Reaction score
You have to re-calibrate the wheels each time you swap them out. It is really easy to do and does not require a trip to the dealer. There is information on how to do it in your owners manuel. It only takes a couple minutes. If you have problems doing it let me know and I can walk you through it.

chadwick02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have to re-calibrate the wheels each time you swap them out. It is really easy to do and does not require a trip to the dealer. There is information on how to do it in your owners manuel. It only takes a couple minutes. If you have problems doing it let me know and I can walk you through it.

Cool, thanks dude! If its in the manual, then I'm sure I can figuar it out. I just didnt know if it was a major ordeal everytime I change my wheels or not. It sounds like it should be pretty simple. Does anyone else run a set of winter tires and a set of summer tires?

preston

Reaction score
I don't run winter/summer tires, but when I go on a long trip I take off my 22's and put my factory 17's on to save on the gas and draw less attention to my Yukon when it ca't be garaged.

JD Larue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Relearning the tps's is really easy to do at home, but you'll need access to an air pump or compressor.

chadwick02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys!!

So, how do I tell if the TPS sensor is in the tire? Can I see it from the out side? The seller "thinks" they are included with the wheels, but he is unsure.

aero993

Reaction score
If it's anything like my friends 2007 Impala it's built into the valve stem. You cannot see it unless you remove the tire from the rim.

mary900

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Run two different sets of tires (both 20s) with TPMS and do NOT have to take to dealer. Directions in the owners manual are simple to follow and they work.

When you buy your 20s, make sure they come with GM TPMS. If you're currently running 17s or 18s, your dealer will need to program for the 20s. Both my sets are 20s, one OEM set and the other set is after-market.