Newbie questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TMoNeE

Reaction score
First off, hello all!

I am not a tahoe/yukon owner as of yet, but I am looking to purchase one in a couple months. Can you guys tell me when the third row seat became an option? I am looking at something 2003+, something I can take hunting, tow stuff with, etc. It will basically be an extra vehicle so I wont be spending a ton of cash, would like to keep it under 20k, but it won't be a total beater either. Are there years to watch out for? How many miles are too many, like what limit would you guys look at and think "no way I dont care how nice it is"? When I actually hit the pavement looking, is there any recommendations on things on the vehicle to watch out for, or to look for specifically. I've never owned an SUV, so if you wouldn't mind, school me on all I need to know. Appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance....

Tim

JsnChristianson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GMT 800 Chevrolet Tahoe is the first generation that they offered third row seating as an option. This generation of Tahoe includes most 2000 vehicles and all 2001-2006 vehicles.

ballsie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$20k is going to get you one hell of a Tahoe these days! Just look for the regular stuff.. oil/exhaust leaks. Let it sit and idle with the a/c on to make sure it still blows cold. dont listen to the radio while testdriving it - you want to hear every noise. 20k will get you a very nice 01-06 loaded Tahoe/Yukon with low miles. The resale value on Large SUV's tanked when gas prices shot up last year. Good luck, let us know what you get!

Custom73

Reaction score
I love my '05 Yukon Denali. I've especially come to depend on the All Wheel Drive in winter time (hate my front wheel drive car in the snow...), 6.0 has great power and the automatic load leveling rear is great for towing.

TMoNeE

Reaction score
thanks guys so far for the info... so what do you guys think is too much mileage? I've seen some beautiful tahoe's/yukon's but sometimes the mileage seems up there. I want to be able to enjoy this thing for a few years.

tahoeman960208

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea i agree with ballsie, these things have decreased significantly in value since the new models became readily available. my 02 lt pretty well equipped, 60,000 miles, good condition, wouldnt go for more than 9k and if its anything like my 96, its got many many many more years of usage left in it. If I could do it over though, I would go with an 03.

667theneighbour

Full Access Member
Reaction score
03 har "upgraded" engine, 2 din radio with available 6cd in-dash canger, driving computer, controls on the steering wheel, adjustable pedals, electronic climate control. Maybe more I have forgotten or don't know of. :)

At least this is so in Norway. Maybe the changes came earlier in the US.