Nite Shade, Tinting Tailights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bolden3

Reaction score
DO NOT do niteshades it will look like crap...if you know any body that works at a body shop have them do it. i fuxed up my tail lights for my ta and had to buy a new set. just my personal expierence though

Trend Setta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah I didn't use nite shades on mine...i used black paint and paint thinner and then clear coat

tast101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I have to have a dent pulled and painted so i'll see if they'll do both for me maybe. I don't want it to dark, just little smoked.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I'm gonna order some led tails and have my body guy paint them up when they repaint my driver's door and tailgate. I think its kinda pointless to do any body work until the snow stops but I can't stand looking at the adhesive left over from the badge on the tailgate or the chipped paint down to the primer on my driver's door. Might have them spray my running lights and maybe a light coat on the headlights too.

S

smmperformance

We sell VHT NiteShade paint at a discount price, daily! All of our customers love it and it is very easy to do!
In some cases you do have to clear coat and/or wet sand after you apply the VHT.
If anyone needs to order any, just let us know...

yourgmsolutions

Reaction score
here are a couple of links for you guys

http://www.legend.org/performance/tutorials/taillights.html

http://www.corrado-club.ca/mods/tailtints.html

Also, here is a secret how its really get done at the body shops

1. some automotive paint supply stores sell a "Grey Toner" then depends of how much clear coat you want to use and how dark you want, you put a few drops of grey toner in there. and then just spray it.
if you have air compressor you can get inexpensive gun at Harbor Freight Tool

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92126
for SoCal residents, if you go to that store you can buy it for $7

for those who does not have a compressor, check link below
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=1102

also a month ago I was over my friend body shop, he mixed me a paint (they called it "Shady Black". very amazing mix, color is black, and when the guy spraid it right on the headlight that I brought, and after that headlight was still clear, but if you look at the headlight, it looks like black color is on inside. plus that paint contains candy in it, and it makes look so amazing. I took a few pics, but you couldn't really see anything, only you can see that when you are in person.

pic. below is when I smoked Escalade lights with Grey Toner added to the clear coat

P1012682.jpg

03HoeFoSho

Reaction score
i used to work at a custom paint shop and i have done this on all of my vehicles except the hoe(coming soon). the correct way to do it is mix up some clearcoat add a few drops of single stage black paint(the more drops the darker it will be) and spray 3 to 4 coats within the flashtime of whatever clear you are using. if you want the real slick look come back the next day and wet sand smooth and buff out.
once i can figure out how to load pics on here i will post a pic of my mustangs tail lights all slicked out. plus i molded in the third brake light on the trunklid and did the same thing to it so you can only see the light shining thru the paint when i hit the brakes, it looks really cool!!!

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
plus i molded in the third brake light on the trunklid and did the same thing to it so you can only see the light shining thru the paint when i hit the brakes, it looks really cool!!!

That sounds sick, man! Post some pics of that if you get a second.

ballsie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used nightshade on my truck and it looks horrible. I bought another pr of lights and Im picking them up from paint this weekend.

They came out flat black when i used nite shades - not much shine at all.

NJ04HOE

Reaction score
ballsie,
You have to put a couple of coats of clear over the niteshades. That's what I did with mine (two vehicles) and it turned out great.
(check out the link in my sig)